Prologue

I

"They're coming." Jewel said, holding her child close to her while walking to her husband. "There are so many, Mark. They look like soldiers."

Mark held them close. "Hide. Try to hide him as well."

"Mark, that wont—"

"Stop wasting time," he interrupted. "Just try, Jewel. Try."

Jewel did as her husband told her to do, and went into her son's room to hide in the closet. She looked down at her son, his eyes full of fear, but also excitement that mommy had brought him somewhere he hadn't been before. She smiled at him, trying to comfort him and herself by enjoying what would be the last few minutes they would probably have together.

"I love you, Simon. Mommy and Daddy love you."

She kissed his cheek. He laughed at her because the way her kiss felt on his cheek. He reached out with his small hands to touch her face, to feel her closer.

A few houses down, the men started knocking down a door. The sounds of cries and screams echoed through the entire street. Then came the sound of rapping gunshots, which sounded like firecrackers to Mark. The last fireworks of our life.

Mark left the living room and went in to check with his wife. He saw them huddled on the ground in the closet, and it made his heart sink seeing his wife crying while his son just laughed, not knowing what was going to happen to him and to his parents.Mark knew that hiding was pointless, but when there was nothing else to do anymore, it only made sense.

"They'll be here so—" The front door cracked open with a loud bang, and the men entered with their stone faces.

Mark held his ground as they rushed towards him. He placed his hands on the door to his son's room to try to protect what he worked so hard on. They didn't care. Just one look at the men's face and you knew that they didn't care what he did...what anyone else did!

"Do you have a child?" One of them asked nonchalantly, his face as plain and unmoved like the black suit he wore.

"Leave them alone, I beg of you." Mark said, trying to persuade them that this was all wrong; they had it wrong all along.

"Do you have a child?" The man repeated, unmoved by the father's plea. "Hand him over or he will be killed too."

"You won't take him! You can't! By God! Your God!"

"Alright men, get ready to fire."

"Wait!" Jewel came out from the closet, her son now crying. "Take him." She held him out to them. The man pointed at the baby, and the other men took him. The baby started crying more as he felt the presence of his mother slowly fading, as if he knew that the hands he was handed to were as cold as ice. It was like he was being held by death himself.

"No! Not my son! Please! Why!" Mark tried to reach for his son as he was being removed from the scene entirely.

"All right men, get ready." The man said. Jewel held on to her husband, and Mark held on to her. They both shook in fear knowing that their final breaths would be weeping for their son.

"Aim."

"I love you, Mark." Jewel said.

"Fire!"

"I love you, too." Mark said as several bullets tore his chest apart. He kept holding unto his wife, even as her body grew limp with every bullet that entered her body. Soon, he could no longer hold her because he didn't have the strength. His body was riddled with holes. The last thing he saw was his wife with him on the ground, and the last thing he heard was his son crying.