horoscopes and coincidences

//Author's Note:

So hi! This is the first real story I've actually put on here. It's a short story, and a rough draft. So if anyone has any kind of critiques (even if it's just grammar related) I'd love to hear them! This is my modern take on Sleeping Beauty. OK, that is all. Thanks for reading!//

It was raining when Dr. Phillip met Aurora. He had to sprint from the hospital to the nearby coffee shop, almost tripping in the process. A bell jingled softly as he pushed open the door and headed straight for the barista.

"Welcome to King's Coffee, what can I get you?"

"Just a large coffee please. And I'm kind of in a hurry, my break ends in," he checked his watch, "10 minutes."

The barista blinked, and then slowly made her way towards the coffee machine. Phillip tapped his foot, periodically glancing at his wrist.

The bell jingled again, and he heard soft footsteps walk up behind him. He turned around to see a damp girl hidden behind a soggy newspaper.

"Ridiculous," she muttered, "Today a horrible change will happen to you. Watch out for the color red." She closed the paper, looking flustered. She sent a startled grin to Phillip, who had been staring at her.

"Sorry, didn't see you there," she paused and then sighed. "Horoscopes are just so stupid. My dad called me this morning and told me I needed to stay away from anything red." Phillip glanced down at her red shirt and raised an eyebrow. The girl smiled.

"Have to stick it to your parents some how, yeah?" she shrugged.

"I wouldn't know, never really went through a rebellious phase," Phillip said. The girl laughed, before asking the barista for a small coffee. Phillip grabbed his slowly cooling coffee, opened and closed his mouth, and then settled on nodding at the girl before leaving. He heard her giggle as he started to run towards the hospital, throwing up the hood of his rain jacket. He looked at his watch again, and increased his speed when he saw that his break had ended two minutes ago.

Stupid pretty girl being all stupidly distracting, he thought. He breathed a sigh of relief as the hospital came into view but grimaced as a stitch in his side acknowledged the fact that he only ever ran when chased.

The doors slammed open as Phillip raced to put on his white coat and entered his office.

"You know, most people would text their trusty nurse if they were going to be ten minutes late from break," a familiar voice said.

Phillip looked sheepish.

"Sorry Samson, the woman at the coffee shop took forever." Samson shook his head, chuckling.

"And you didn't get me anything, even after I covered for you. What kind of crappy best friend are you," Samson said.

"You didn't ask me to get you anything!"

"I shouldn't have to. After all these years you should know how I like my freaking coffee, Phil."

Phillip sighed as Samson crossed his arms.

"Next time, I'll just buy you the whole shop. Then we'll be even."

Samson laughed and finished signing the pile of documents on Phillip's desk. He stood up, groaning as he stretched.

"OK, now, since I have a crappy best friend who doesn't buy me coffee, I am off to the break room to drink the commoners' coffee. God, it always tastes like sweat," Samson cringed.

Phillip laughed, before sitting at his desk. He chucked his empty coffee cup at the trashcan, and opened up his laptop. He checked his e-mail, having nothing new except something from his dad labeled NEW GIRLFRIEND CANDIDATE- SET UP DATE FOR NEXT THURSDAY. He groaned, tired of his dad trying to set him up. He was 28, not 78.