Preface

The night air was cool, the crisp breeze flowing into my windows. The breeze fell on my skin and thus, goosebumps shivered up and down my body. Quite the night for a suicide. The sun was just beginning to set over the landscape and my chair looked over its dilapidated surface. It was hard to believe the town of Ashford had turned into these monstrous remains in just three short weeks. Combing over my memories however, revealed that yes, in just three weeks this town had been torn apart by the very people who had made it the bustling trade center for miles around.

Back when this town was in its peak, around two years ago, Ashford had been the most booming economy along with a stable job market and higher education. It's rivals weren't many though, the only two towns within walking distance of the River Ford where Maverick, the agriculture center of Stilask and Waski, the mining town that took what minerals were to be gained from the Stilasks. What made Ashford such a success was its prime location as Bedan's harsh woodlands broke into flatlands Ashford lay there, ready to tax whatever traders decided to use the safest route, Traders Trail. The long and treacherous woodlands of Bedan proved to be the safest trail, despite its harsh and brittle woodlands. Some traders long ago had tried to find a trail beyond the Stilasks mountains, but were never heard from again. Traders are a superstitious lot and one missing trading party was enough to assure them that Traders Trail was the easiest and safest route. From what citizens of Ashford could gather, the traders often came from a huge city called The Citi. Traders often were here because Ashford required many supplies to keep its population in check, but Ashford also offered something quite valuable to the traders, rare minerals and fish found only in River Ford. While the traders, along with citizens from the other two towns had attempted to take control over River Ford, Ashford proved to be quite adept militarily.  Forced into a ceasefire, it was claimed that as long as Ashford sold the minerals and fish at a fair price, they could continue their town. Ashford was also valuable to the traders as it was the only town capable of building long slender boats, which were used to ford down the river and reach Maverick much quicker than on foot, allowing the traders to buy surplus crops and sell it back to The Citi and a massive up charge.

Waski was often subject of massive debate between Maverick and Ashford, as both of the town's mayors demanded that Waski relinquish their mining of what the townspeople referred to as, The Holy Stilasks Mountains. To most townspeople, the mountains, which were quite unusual to the traders and any passing scientists, were sacred and not to be mined for its one-of-a-kind minerals, said to give immortality and great strength. Traders often attempted to get this minerals, which was a two hour walk from the closest town, Maverick. But both Maverick and Ashford sentenced any traders found with these minerals to executed, the market tapered off. A black market still remains for this highly valuable mineral and often times the officials of Ashford have been bribed to look the other way when traders have attempted to transport these minerals back to The Citi.

Many scientists in the past had often come to Ashford to study the Stilask mountain range. It's unique mineral compound and sharp nature disturbed many scientists. They were never allowed to take samples back to The Citi, as Ashford held the mountain in biblical regard. Killing any scientist that attempted the subversion and subsequent transporting of the materials from Ashford. Rituals in past were performed for or near the Stilasks, which were often of the disturbing nature.

Now we turn to me, as Ashford was a relatively large town for those parts and I had been fired from my position as a police officer in The Citi, I turned to private detective in Ashford, so my wife and daughter could live without being on the streets. It was a large change, one neither of them adapted to easily but over time they learned to accept it. Ashford was and still is a mysterious town. Ones whose origins still elude me, but now I will never know, this town is ruined. I am ruined, nothing is left and soon perhaps this mystery will take the entire world with it. I am writing down everything I have learned and sending it out, in hopes that maybe one day someone can piece together this mystery and know the full story of Ashford, my luck and wishes upon you.

-A.S