Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

"No, no, no..." I murmured, flicking over the channels. They were all so boring; news, news and more news. What did I expect on a typical mundane Sunday?

"Annabelle, just choose a channel already," my mother said from across the room.

"But there's nothing on," I whined. I glanced at my mum and saw her throw a 'why me lord?' look up at the ceiling.

My mum is -well to put it nicely- eccentric and opinionated. Don't get me wrong, I love her to bits, but sometimes she gets pretty intolerant and shes definitely not open-minded (which gets annoying periodically when I want to get my point across the room).

The door creaked open and my fifteen year old brother stumbled into the room.

"Hey Daniel," I grinned at him. He looked nervous for some reason and gave me a reluctant smile.

"Mum, can I talk to you?" he glanced at me then looked back at my mum, "Alone."

I stayed glued to my spot. "Anna," my mum frowned.

"Okay okay, I'm going," I mumbled and got up from the couch. "What, you finally hit puberty or something?" I grumbled as I left the room.

"Annabelle!" my mum shouted disapprovingly. I chuckled and closed my bedroom door. I jumped on my bed and grabbed my phone. It was 3:46 and I had already finished all my homework so I decided to call my best friend, and only friend, Troye.

Me and Troye met in freshman, now we're seniors and we're pretty damn close. Troye was your typical jock; blond, blue eyed, part of the football team and all that other weird stuff. The only thing keeping him from officially joining the 'it' group was me. I guess you could call me a nerd, always keeping my head in books and hating attention unlike the popular, would would gladly love to see their picture on the front cover of the school newspaper.

"Whats up?" Troye automatically answered.

"Hey Tee, it's Anna."

"Of course it is. Lemme guess, bored?"

"Pfft no. I'm just.. checking up on you, yeah." I knew Troye would automatically know I'm lying, he practically knows everything about me.

"Right, of course. Anyway so remember that girl Lizzy?"

"Lizzy?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"You know, the girl I met at that club the other day. Red headlights?"

"You mean Lisa?" I corrected him.

"Yeah her! Well she called today and guess what she said?" He didn't wait for my answer and instead continued,"she wants to meet me again! I specifically told her I only do one-night stands," he said in disbelief.

"Gee don't grow a big head- oh wait, you already have," I laughed at my own joke, and turned around so I was facing my window. There, I saw my mothers garden. She put a lot of effort into that, making it look almost magical, and you'd have to wait till you'd see it at night when all the colourful lights would be on; mesmerizing really.

"Haha very funny," he said sarcastically.

"I know, I'm just that great of a joker." Out in the distant, I heard shouting. I sighed, "I gotta go Tee, call you later?"

"Aw, why so fast?"

"I think mum and Daniel got into a fight again, probably about his grades; his been slacking off lately and you know how my mum is about school," I told him. Daniel, for some reason, has been slacking off since his birthday last year: he used to be a straight-A student actually, some of his teachers have been calling us latterly too.

"OK then, bye Ann."

"Bye." I quickly put my phone on charge and made my way to the lounge room.

"What is it kn-" I started but stopped dead in my tracks, taking in the scene in front of me. "Whats going on?" 

The house door was open and there was mum, shouting at a crying Daniel to get out. I quickly ran over to her. "Mum! What the hell?"

She turned to me angrily, "Why don't you tell your brother that?"

I turned to Daniel,"Danny?" Though it seemed as if he couldn't get a word out.

"He thinks hes gay, Anna! Get some sense into him, will you?" Mum sneered.

"What?" I whispered. This was bad, really bad, too bad. My mother was 'homophobic', in other words, totally against gays. Shit.

"Mum don't you get it? I was born like this!" Daniel croaked hoarsely.

"Your only fifteen, Daniel! You have no idea what your talking about," mum screamed, shaking her head.

"I do mum, I swear I do," he reasoned.

"Get out, just GET OUT!" she shouted and slammed the door in his face. The door was banged a few times, Daniels voice pleading, but soon his voice faded away and so did his sobs.

Soon the whole idea of my brother getting kicked out of the house registered to me. "Did you just.. kick him out?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"Hes not coming back until he realizes what hes saying," she said with a tone of finality.

"You can't just kick him out!"

"Yes I can Annabelle!"

"Mum that's who he is! You should be the one helping him through this, not the exact opposite!"

"Oh? So your on his side now, huh?" she challenged me, daring me to answer.

"If he's out then so am I," I scowled. 

"Do you hear you self right now Annabelle Thompson?!" she glared at me.

I turned around, storming off to my room, and batted the door shut.

My mum has totally lost her mind.

~*~

Why hello there! This is my first book so I hope you guys like it :)

Comment and vote an do all that other stuff, yeah. Posting the next chapter soon.

Bye!