Indifference by Definition

By definition 'indifference' a is "lack of interest, concern, or sympathy". 

I look around at the people rushing past me on the street as they carry on with their busy lives, the tall skyscrapers that surround my city, and find that the world is consumed with it. It is everywhere, in everyone. It seems like there is an unspoken consensus that this indifference should be hidden behind frontages like sympathetic media post, pretty words spoken by corrupt politicians and mindless comments that show the people around us that we are keeping up with the worlds 'current affairs'. 

To me, it seems like this tabooed indifference could be a fundamental part of what makes us human. Is there any other species that pretends to care? 

How can the same woman who quickly avoided a man from Amnesty International asking for donations to help the refugees in Syria and walked into Myers to spend two hundred dollars on a designer purse,  later repost a picture of a drowned refugee baby that has washed up on the Turkish shores. 

Is it all due to desensitisation? Have we seen so much on our televisions and computers that our compassion faulters and indifference takes over? Maybe it is rubbed off on us. It is known that compassion is a learned behaviour but maybe indifference is too, copying those who don't care as a denfence mechinism against ourselves. Is it too scary to care? Maybe if we let it all in it would become too much and insanity would step in.

Maybe this is what it is all about, sanity. I don't know. Maybe i'll realise the reason eventally, though maybe it's one of those things better left alone. Howevern, leaving things alone is not in my nature. 
What do you think?