Chapter 1: Each other path

There was a time where they did not cared about the future, living the life they wanted in a very carefree manner. She loved it, the taste of freedom that the Earth offered, she was not the daughter of one of the most powerful Yato commander. She was Kagura, nothing more, nothing less, being the Yorozuya heroin was a bliss. However, things tend to change quickly, maybe too much: the Shogun had died. She knew how it meant way more problems than just an assassination, now Nobunobu gained the power. But he himself was no more than a puppet for their real enemy, the Tendoshu. Even the fierce Shinsengumi needed to back down and escape Edo, she recalled perfectly her farewell with the first division's captain, under the rain, on the bridge.

Better yet, her badly of a father was going to conclude the death match kept for years with her brother. And it was not going to end, Soyo convoked her. For the chased princess to make such a dangerous move...Surely there was something going on.

Without informing the Yorozuya first, the vermillion girl put a dark cloak; visiting the sister of the deceased shogun included risks after all. Silently sneaking out of the building, she ran under the moonlight to join her best friend. The rendezvous took place in a cave, protected, it was dark and moist inside, she had to cope with it. The once prideful Soyo hime was reduced to hide lamely her innocent face – damn Naraku. The girl smiled at her, obviously happy to meet her Yato friend again. After the salutations, the took seat with a cup of plain green tea.

"Kagura-chan, I've decided to avenge my brother and be the one ruling over Edo. We both can see what is happening, right? Nothing can be good with them governing, I even heard about slavery becoming legal." Her pale hands tightened into a furious fist. "I don't want to let the land Shigeshige protected dearly to be ruined, killing the people he cherished all of his life...Kagura-chan, you are the only one whom I can ask but, please, please help me. You are able to make it possible."

The said girl grinned, nodding fervently. Like she would let these bastards destroy her dear blue planet, sooner or later rebels would rise their swords, again. It was just a matter of time, the same cycle of history, being a child born of two leaders of a war-freaks clan, Kagura understands it better than anyone else. She lived in wars since the start of her life, one or two more is nothing, Soyo could have deducted it. Despite having been pampered, the princess was no less smart than any high-educated person. In order to recover Edo's control she needed to be surrounded by some people, Umibouzu's daughter belonged to this group. However, she would be lying if it was the sole reason for recruiting her, this girl impressed her at first sight. Not giving a damn about ranks, solid guts doubled with blessed strength and beauty; no wonder they fast bonded into friends.

"Let us succeed in this mission, Soyo-chan aru–" The chinese clothed extended her pinky, which the other female gladly entwined her's with. "We'll depart tomorrow night, first aim it so find more allies. See you, in the same place"

With a cheerful "goodbye", the determined yato returned to the Yorozuya. Leaving her sort of family was not easy indeed, sometimes, as her mami taught her, each beings take a different path. Well, it was not like she won't ever see them again, there were just a few things she needed to take care of. Saving Edo, preventing the death of her bald papi and stupid brother– many works waited for the amazing Kagura! Announcing it would be a delicate topic, especially with the protective males. They would try to come with her, not a bad idea in fact– whereas they had to resolve some affairs of their own first. While her surrogate father and the megane could push aside the Kihetai and their leader, her job was to discard the Harusame and Bakamui.

"Listen carefully Kagura, in life or on a battlefield, you have to clear the way first. Always, always, mami has not been surnamed the goddess of wars for nothing, all righto ?"

It was the lesson one from her mother, behind the busy males's back she studied secretly with her mami as the teacher. When she asked about why Kamui did not participate for those private sessions the woman let out a small chuckle, answering that female Yatos had many things in their sleeves in order to keep their counterparts in place. They were less affected by bloodlust actually, their bodies, in consequence, were weaker too. Yato Kana, was one of the rare woman who had a large part of the tribe in the palm of her hand, the goddess of wars. Incredible technics, ingenious strategies, she passed down her knowledge to her daughter in the shadows.

"I will not deceive you mami...It's a Yato woman's duty to manipulate from the shadows uh–uh."

It's been a long time since she had a nightmare about it. The two tall amantos, her screams which went unheard, the dead body of her mother abandoned behind. She couldn't do anything more than crying because her family was not here for her. And then, the sound of the metal echoing, the rough canvas used as her clothes, the whip fending the air, the injuries. Desperate voices melting into angered ones, lastly the flames. How red was this day? The land was dirtied by the vital liquid, the buildings engulfed by blazes...Was it horrible?

No.

No matter how barbaric the scene was, it was their victory, gloria against them. The freedom they won by their cooperation, from a hard-work that lasted six months of preparation to taste it– their prize. The annoying metal finally silenced, the tears of joy.

Somewhere, the Shinsengumi were training hard, swinging their swords until they lacked oxygen, until all of their muscles were painful. Everyday progressed this way, the urge of returning motivated them. They were Edo's policemen, samurai at heart, they promised to be back fast and protect the citizens from the flaxen haired boy wished to spare with the China-girl one more time, prove her who was the strongest, of course. He did not miss her, not at all...Lie. He just lied, deep inside him was lying lingering feelings. Mostly worry, she was so far away now, although having declared to not lose against somebody until their next meeting, her links with the Harusame's admiral would surely cause damages. She was a monster girl, yes, but not invincible or immortal. Come on Sougo, China can carry herself, no need to fear anything.

These past days the former police searched in an old compound, used by the Shinsengumi before. A short letter sent by the princess warned them about her project– without details like how Kagura obtained the rank of her unique general– gathering help kept them busy. A particular group won their attention so they looked for the case file about it.

"Kondo-san, why do you want these rebels so much ?" inquired Okita. "You know this rising association, Eienchen, they began to enslave people for money. But it's not new at all, it was even their primary activity, or at least, before an event..." Light brown's brows furrowed. "Some slaves planned a rebellion and succeeded, the old Matsudaira dealt with one of them a long time ago. He complimented about how they are talented, meaning we need'em on our side to get rid of the new Eienchen and Tokugawa."

Not pondering more about the subject, the prince of sadism continued to look after the precious folder. Suddenly, the demon vice-commander gasped, wavering his hands.

"I have it, the documents about the major figures of the slaves's insurrection. "

The first page showed a young man around Soguo's age, blue spiky hair and a thin scar just above his right amber eyes. Hisano Masamune described as having an almost demonic fighting skill, catching the officer's interest. A demon like Hijibaka huh...The next was a man in his thirties, the Shinsengumi's men noticed his tired face. His hair was of a pure black, but the odd point were his blank eyes: he was blind. The gorilla remembered a person like this, he did hear about an Ieyasu Jun, mainly famous for his god-given capacity to heal. The last paper shocked them as their eyes landed on a kid. It was a little girl, about ten years old, they guessed.

A ten years old little girl with an icy cold expression.

A ten years old little with a familiar face.

A ten years old little with a pale complexion, cerulean orbs and fire coloured hair whose name goes by Kagura from the Yato Tribe.

"I'm not dreaming or hallucinating, Sougo, Kondo-san? It's that China musume right ?"

"God, what is SHE doing here ?"