Chapter 1: Them

Someone just entered the previously empty coffee shop.

At the sound of voices, Richard Faulkerson Jr., better known as Alden Richards, paused reading, his eyes straying the empty tables around him. He immediately decided to hide his face behind the newspaper he's reading despite the fact that he was already sitting near the back of the room.

It was strange but he had found it too uncomfortable to be around people after he broke up with his girlfriend of two years. He figured that it was easier to just hide from the public until they forget about their break-up which was splashed across a number of newspapers.

He waited patiently, his ears straining to determine the people who just arrived. He had thought that the place would be empty since it was already past midnight, the area was quite far from the city, and the shop will be closed in an hour or so. He didn't think that someone, let alone two women, would be coming in.

"I think this place is good enough. It's almost deserted so I'm quite sure no one can hear us here. We can choose a table far from the counter. What do you think?" said one of the women, who was wearing a white cropped top, shorts, and sneakers. She looked around the shop before looking at her companion.

The coffee shop has a natural interior, industrial hanging lights, cozy chairs and tables, and bookshelves while its outdoor section is filled with seats, tables, and parasols.

"Honestly, since I am still jet-lagged, all I really care about is making sense of what happened in the past month. Let's just order so you can start talking."

The other woman, unlike her companion, was wearing a leather jacket, blue jeans, and boots. She was also holding a large handbag.

Richard watched two women approach the counter and order two cappuccinos before sitting at a table a few meters away from him. Out of habit, Richard immediately stilled and held his breath while they settled themselves in their seats. They did not seem to notice him so he continued to observe them.

The blonde sat facing him while the other girl, a brunette, took the seat opposite her companion. He couldn't see their faces perfectly and he would be seen if he moves from his current position. Still, he could hear their voices quite clearly.

"So, I don't know how to say this but...I messed up, Bree," the brunette said. "I was too busy working on individual projects that I took RJ for granted. I didn't have time for him...for us."

RJ came to attention and then suddenly froze, caught unawares by the brunette who apparently was his ex-girlfriend. He brought down the newspaper and tried to get a better look at the two women.

Maine took a long sip of her drink before continuing. "He kept on making the same sacrifices again and again for me. He did it happily because he told me that's how he much loves me. But I just couldn't risk it."

"Maine..." Bree said sadly. "You could have stayed."

Her eyes flitted away before going back to her companion.

"I tried. I swear to God that I tried so hard, but it didn't work," She paused, feeling uncomfortable. "I was confused and scared. I never really thought that someone could mean so much to me..."

Bree continued to stare at her, looking serious and determined to hear her story. She sighed, thinking that it would be best to get this over with as soon as possible.

She sucked in a big breath, trying to hold back her tears. "Maybe I was wrong. But, what if I choose him over my career and I regret it? I couldn't stand the uncertainty so...I made the choice to end our relationship."

Suddenly, everything clicked into place. Her strange behavior. The short and unaffectionate phone calls and text messages. The awkward weekend dates. RJ bit his lip, thinking. This conversation is suddenly very interesting. He was only here to spend some time outside the city but it looks like he would be staying until they finish their conversation.