Silent

If I were to be honest, I could say that the thought of absolute quiet frightened me.

Sighing, I laid my head on my the palm of my hand, gazing out the window. My radio played quietly in the background, adding a soothing sound to the otherwise silent house.

I tapped my pencil on the notebook page in front of me.

Empty.

I glared and tried to think of anything to write, but the batteries in my stereo died. Snapping my head to look at the object, I heard nothing but the eerie, pounding drums of silence in my ears. I shivered and began to search my room for batteries, finding none. Once again, I looked out the window by my desk, seeing nothing outside due to the inky blackness the night gave.

Gulping, I flicked on the hallway light.

'Nothing there. Mom and dad locked the house when they took Chris to hockey.' I thought. 'Besides, wouldn't it be a bit cliche for something to happen now? Come on Alex, horror movie 101.'

Shaking my head, I pulled my blonde hair back into a short ponytail. I quickly glanced into the bathroom mirror, just to make sure.

Nothing except the familiar face of a blue eyed country girl staring back.

I gave a short sigh of relief and crept down the stairs to the garage.

The door freaked when I opened it, a blur rushing toward me.

Screaming, I held my hands out, only to be hit with a plastic skeleton. I cursed my father's love for Halloween and his lack of organization under my breath as I shoved the thing off me.

I still was muttering as I reached the toolbox that held the extra batteries and such. I sighed and shook my head, humming a quiet tune. I relaxed as the area wasn't so quiet, my humming echoing in the lightened area.

However, a short, loud crash made my hair stand on end. I became silent once more as small, loud noises thumped through the house.

'Cliche, huh?' My inner voice asked.

I shivered as the noises stopped directly in front of the door. My breathing quickened, my pulse became too fast as my eyes dilated. I held my breath when everything stopped.

Nothing.

The noises outside were as if they were never there. Maybe they weren't.

'You are just paranoid. The silence tends to do that.' I told myself mentally, going back to my search.

The lights clicked off.

Helping, I must have jumped a foot high.

I shook violently as my eyes slowly adjusted to the dark. My breath came in short, harsh pants as I wandered my gaze in the dark, seeing dark blobs of the crap we kept in the garage. Giggling nervously, I tried to brush off the sudden darkness.

"We really need to clean up in here. A broom, or another one of dad's Halloween 'toys' fell over and knocked the switch." I whispered to myself. "Nothing to be afraid of."

'If there is nothing to be scared of, why are you whispering and shaking?' The voice asked. I glared into the darkness, silently cursing at the annoying voice.

'I am only using common sense. What in hell' s name are you using, idiot?'

"I'm attempting not to scream and book it!" I yelled.

I heard a short creak as light flooded into the room.

Shooting my gaze up, I saw a black figure in the doorway. I could tell they were either smirking or laughing.

"Another one, hmm?" A deep voice said. Slowly walking toward me, I gripped the closest thing to me.

A foam bat.

Cursing my luck, I quickly searched for another weapon, all in vain as a hand gripped my arm.

"Vita." The figure said. "Don't worry. It won't hurt much, then you'll be where you belong." The figure said. I could see the featured now.

A strong jaw, soft looking black hair that caressed his neck and cheekbones. His build and stature were both distinctly male. But the skin coloring, and his almost golden eyes seemed familiar.

"Connor?" His name slipped across my lips before I could stop them. A small smile came across his lips, along with a small blush over his tan skin.

"See you later, my Vita." He whispered in my ear, applying pressure to the back of my neck.

'One of his father's secrets.' The voice whispered as the room became darker. I couldn't answer as the room became dark.

And silent.

Should I continue or not? New idea, and I had to get it down before I forgot... Review with your thoughts?