Land of the Lost (a short story)

"...And the end result of the Wolowitz purification process is drinkable water. This new development will revolutionize the way space ships are supplied.... Yes, Alicia." Professor Yeazell gave a small sigh and finally acknowledged her hand, which had been waving in the air nearly the whole time he'd been speaking.

"We had one of those on the Cronus and it was awful. Sure, it makes 'drinkable' water"—Alicia added air quotes around 'drinkable'—"but it's really sludgy and kind of a weird green color. No one on the ship even wanted to try it. My parents tested it out in one of our onboard greenhouses and the potatoes in that section all rotted. So I think it needs some work. My dad eventually wired the...."

"Thank you, Alicia," Professor Yeazell interrupted.

Alicia brushed her light brown bangs out of her hazel eyes and looked up at him expectantly, hoping he would engage her in a dialogue on the best way to rewire the purifier.

As a relatively recent transfer to the Space Academy of Technical Arts and Sciences, she had found the most interesting part of her studies so far to be comparing theory to her past practical experience. After all, Alicia had practically been raised in the science lab that orbited Saturn's moon, Titan, and she'd also spent a good chunk of her teen years on the Class 3 space cruiser, the Cronus, where her parents were ship biologists specializing in horticulture.

Instead of addressing Alicia, though, the professor addressed the whole class. "Since Ms. Callahan is such an expert, perhaps she would like to propose three ways the Wolowitz process could be improved. In fact, it might benefit everyone. I'll expect all of you to turn the assignment in by Friday."

A collective groan came up from the class and Alicia saw one of her roommates, Jessica, roll her eyes. Alicia was alarmed—she hadn't intended for her classmates to be assigned extra homework. She raised her hand again. She knew more than three ways the Wolowitz process could be improved, so she might as well save her class the extra trouble.

"Professor? Couldn't I just draw up a few diagrams to show you how we rigged it to produce water that would at least not kill plants?"

"The assignment stands. The class could use the exercise in practical application. I've changed my mind about you, however. You will write about the theory behind the Wolowitz purification process. Just because you had the chance to play with one doesn't mean you understand how it works." The professor looked down at her sternly.

Alicia tried again anyway. "But...."

"That's enough, Alicia." Alicia had been too preoccupied with trying to express herself to see that his patience with her had clearly run dry.

Professor Yeazell turned to address the rest of the class. "I want you all to bring the diagram of the Wolowitz up on your data pads and we'll run through the parts one more time."

* * *

Alicia walked back to her dorm room and tried to figure out exactly what had gone wrong in her Spaceship Sub-systems class. She shook her head, letting her dark hair fall into her face, hiding the embarrassed flush on her cheeks. Alicia had thought she'd be more than prepared for life at the Space Academy of Technical Arts and Sciences. But apparently she'd been wrong.

A SATAS education was more than just practical application. It encompassed a whole solar system's worth of history, politics, and culture, as well as a broad range of technical and scientific topics. Even if growing up off-planet had put her behind in a number of subjects, none of the academics had surprised Alicia – after all, her brother had graduated from SATAS. But based on his experience, Alicia had somehow assumed it would be much easier to make friends. Maybe if Andrew had been here to help her meet people, it would have been easier, but he'd graduated a few years ago and was currently on Earth interning with the United League delegate from Titan. She missed her brother terribly and not just because if he were here, she'd have at least one friend.