I'm Flying

As the light turns green I pop the clutch and dump the gas. The rpms climb, my engine and exhaust scream in unison. I feel the redline coming quick. Quickly I press the clutch in and throw it into the next gear.

Exhilarating. Freedom. The ground shakes underneath me. I look beside me as the BMW slowly pulls closer to my window. I'm on edge, anything can happen. I'm flying.

My fingers grip the leather stick, tightening as I switch into the next gear. My car lurches forward as I leave a trail of dust in the wake of the BMW. I see the headlights through the cloud of dust and push my foot harder on the accelerator. I watch the needle go high and grin as it passes 120 mph.

The BMW drives side by side with me, both of us in the lead. I look over to my passenger seat, eyeing the emotions of my girlfriend. Fear is displayed clearly across her face as she grips her seat.

"Slow down, mark! Slow down! We're going to crash! Mark!" She screeches at me.

"Hold on, Erica. I'm about to win. Just hold on," I tell her, exasperated at her outburst. Usually she has fun, I don't understand why she isn't this time.

A red light appears ahead of us, but the BMW speeds up. I hear whimpering as my car speeds up and look over to see Erica crying.

A light comes behind Erica's head and I'm blinded. A jolt hits the car and I hear a screech. The smell of gasoline and blood enters my nose as my head is impacted. The car flips, tumbling down the road. The car lands on its side and I see Erica hanging by her seatbelt. I close my eyes, darkness threatening to take over me. Drip. Drip. Drip. Oil pours out from my cat and I drift off to the sound of it. I'm flying.
-------------------------------------
Sirens. Voices. Pain. I'm jolted around but can't open my eyes. More darkness.
-------------------------------------
Voices. Machines. Pain. Darkness.
-------------------------------------
Beep. Beep. Beep. My heart monitor. Darkness.
-------------------------------------
I open my eyes to silence. Lights creep into my swollen eyes and I hear a faint sniffling. It must be Erica. I try to find her but all I see is my mother.

"Mom," I croak

"Oh Mark!" My mother exclaimed, rushing over.

"Where's Erica?" I manage to get out in between hugs. I see her eyes fill with tears and I choke back a sob. "No, no-"

"I'm sorry honey. Erica is dead."

Pain. Beep. Pain. Beep. Pain. Beep.

I'm not aware when my mother leaves but it's night when I get out of bed.

I look out the window and see I am high up, probably the tenth floor. I open the window and step onto the window sill, relishing in the cold air.

"I'll see you soon Erica," I think to myself. I step out the window and fall. I'm free. I'm flying.

Darkness.