Preface

Beautiful Disaster

It was late evening on a Tuesday and other than a few regulars and some business men who didn't seem quite ready go to whatever miserable life awaited them at home, the bar was slow. I straightened out the dark colored apron covering my skirt and sighed taking a look at what area of the dim lit room I could see from my spot standing near the bar.

"Hey Kat you seem to have a special request. " The other girl working, Leah said walking by me and winking and I just rolled my eyes and sighed wondering what creep was back today. "This one is pretty cute. "She added bumping me with her elbow. "Is there any you think aren't cute?' I asked her with a halfhearted laugh as she started pouring some drink and she rolled her eyes back at me and pointed off toward the back corner booth and I started to make my way over.

I brushed my hair over the side of my shoulder as I approached the table, from behind all I could tell is I hadn't seen him in here before which made it strange he would have any sort of request, but whatever at least it meant I might actually get a tip this time.

"What can I get you?" I asked looking down and pulling out my notepad

"Katharina " He said in such a familiar devil may care voice I still heard it echoing at night, and I almost dropped the notepad jerking up to look at him, and in shock at even hearing someone call me that again. I met his eyes and a million memories played in my mind including the last time I has seen him and for a moment I was frozen, I couldn't breathe, or speak or think.

"A-Adrian. " I managed to choke out shaking my head in disbelief. What was he doing here? Why? Why now? In the moment of silence again I took him in. He looked different, although maybe that was mostly due to the fact he actually seemed sober, his green eyes seemed brighter again, his hair was sandy brown and almost reached his chin now, and he looked, well good.

"What do you want. " I stated regaining my sense and glaring down at him as the memories of our last meetings hit me again "I can explain. Let me explain." He said reaching out to touch my arm and I pulled away quick knowing I had to keep myself together "Why should I?" I asked flatly looking down at the table instead into those green eyes.

"Please. " he said standing and I took a step back brushing my hand through my hair and shaking my head at him "When do you get off? We can go to my place, just hear me out." he asked and I didn't answer him for a moment. "It's been 3 years Adrian. "

"I know, but just, please. " He said sighing and running his hands through his hair and I looked him over. Could I even trust him? I mean, I don't even know him anymore.. Although sometimes I think maybe I never did. We both stayed quiet for a few long tense moments and he looked down kinda shuffling at his feet.

"11." I said breaking the moment, "What?" he asked looking up at me "11. I get off at 11, be back here then. " I said crossing my arms over my chest "Thank you. " he said smiling at me but I refused to back making him lose his and drop his head "Does John know your back?' I asked after another moment. "No." he said simply "He was your best friend. " I said in a scolding voice I'd seemed to mastered now.

"So were you. "he said quietly "Was I?" Iquestioned back as we shared a look and before he replied I turned around towalk away wondering what I had just gotten myself back into...