Misfit Model

She's fat.

This was what they were saying about her. They probably thought that no one else could hear. How could she not? They were all in the same dressing room, getting ready to go home after another successful show. Was she really getting fat? No! They were probably simply jealous. They would do anything to discourage her. Jealousy was popular in modelling. After all, she was Shea Verner, the number one top model, the star of the agency.

Ignoring all the buzzing of the other models and assistants, she got into her casual outfit, took her purse and made her way out of the building. Her assistant was already keeping the bags and dresses in the car. Once her driver saw her coming, he opened the door, waited for her to go in and then closed it. As soon as the driver started the car, she checked her social medial and put on some music. The car ride was about thirty minutes and it can be a long time.

Once she reached home, which was a beautiful apartment in Los Angeles, she changed into her pyjamas, got some food and threw herself lazily on the couch to watch TV. Modelling life could be exhausting and stressful at the same time. Luckily, she was going to be on vacation for a month. She would be going back to Mauritius, her home country after so much time. She was very excited about meeting her family and friends. LA was completely different from home and she had missed those places a lot. She could not stop thinking about how exciting those holidays would be and these thoughts did not leave her mind until she fell asleep.

The next morning she woke up pretty late, at about half past eleven. It was procrastinating day, the best way to celebrate the beginning of her vacations. She had been doing this since her high school days. After freshening up and having breakfast, she went back into back and got under her blanket with the air conditioning on and her laptop on her lap. She found some nice movies online and begun her movie date with herself. By the time the fourth movies was over, it was nearly seven o'clock. Since she was too lazy to cook a basic meal, she ordered a medium chicken Hawaiian pizza and Coke. The rest of her evening was spent in food and movies until it was finally time to sleep.

The next morning, after a lot of time spent in getting ready and then going to the airport, it was finally time for the flight. Considering the distance, it would be a very long flight, taking about three- quarter of the day. She would reach Mauritius in the late evening and had to occupy herself with movies, books and lots of sleep. She could not stop thinking about how amazing going back to her country would be. After so much time, she would finally see her family and her best friends. She was already making a list of places she would like to visit again. Places where a lot of her memories were tied to. She had been waiting for this moment to arrive and it was hard to believe that it was finally happening.

Eighteen hours later, the plane landed. She had to go through the formalities and checking. She could not contain her excitement on seeing her family waiting for her. Her parents and he siblings came to pick her up. One minute did not even pass and she was engulfed in hugs from everyone. Her brother took her suitcase and they all headed to the car. It felt like the old days again. Everyone was seated where they always used to sit. The only difference was that they were slightly older.

When they got home, it was dinner time and they talked about many things. She remembered how she missed Mauritian food. After dinner, she distributed the gifts she brought for everyone and started planning how to spend the week. They wanted to make the best out of the time she would be spending together so the night was spent in gaming with her family. He brother brought lots of board game they had not played in ages. They played as much as they could including Harry Potter, Scrabbles, Monopoly, Snake & Ladder and Power Four until it was time for bed. She in her life had she ever felt that happy. She was at home after all!