Hidden Away

"Elizabeth!" I cringed as my stepmother's voice shrieked in my ears. I ran to the stair case, and looked down barely seeing her so far away. Cupping my hands around my mouth I shouted, "Coming Vivian!" Running back into my circular room, I stepped into my slippers before glancing in the mirror.

My long, brown hair hung in a tight, high ponytail, and swayed past my hips. My once soft blue dress hung tightly around me, long faded, and torn in several places at the hem revealing my ankles. A dingy, white apron was tied around my slim waist and neck. My soft blue slippers were now black on the bottom from years of walking on tough gravel, and through muddy puddles.

Not wanting to keep mother waiting, I scurried down the steps to do this mornings chores. Since I was seven I have walked up, and down these flights of stairs many times, since moving into the cramped tower. When my mother was still alive I lived in a grand room, but thats all gone.

My wretched father poisoned my mother. He told me she fell off her horse in her morning ride, but I saw the body, her mouth was stained blue, as well as her fingertips. He said he loved her, if he did how could he kill his wife? When he said he loved me I quickly ran away into the forest, and fell asleep at the bace of a tree. I couldn't face that monster, he killed what he loved, I didn't want his poisonous love.

When I awoke that evening, I quietly slipped into the house, and saw my sisters body on the floor by the hearth. Her crystal blue eyes were wide with shock, and her thin brows were furrowed with confusion. Her plush, pink lips were slightly parted, like to ask her killer why they did this. Her dirty blonde curls were spread around her face damp with blood. Even dead my older sister looked like an angel.... I spent the night crying on her chest, I cried for loosing my mother, for loosing my sister, for them leaving me here with my murderous father. A few years later my father married anew, and we moved out if the only home I knew. That was the end of my happy days.

Now I live in the tower, my fathers attempt to hide me, and I work as a house maid to my stepmother, stepbrothers, and stepsister. Father doesn't want to see me, so I'm not allowed to be near him. Fine by me. But I will find out why he killed his wife, and daughter, and not me.

"Elizabeth hurry, I swear its like you live in your own little fantasy sometimes." Vivian said, startling me back into reality.

"Yes ma'am." I replied quickening my pace down the last steps, and quietly padded down the hall towards the kitchen to begin the daily chores.