Chapter 1: Union City

«Shocking news for you city folks today!» Shirley barely lifted her head while straightening her jet black hair. She imagined what the "shocking news" were – everything was always "shocking" in Union City. Well, what would you expect from a city where humans and other creatures lived together? Mayhem.

«A girl was murdered today by a bloody shadow creature!» The news report showed a blurry image of a girl, laying on the ground while a shadowy figure attacked her defenseless body. «As you all know, this isn't the first case of awful creatures attacking defenseless humans and-» Shirley turned off the TV with a grunt.

Yeah, sure. Why not. It was always the same jam – person got killed, awful monster, stay safe, y'all be careful around the streets at night, bye.

Nothing changed. Nothing ever changed. No one talked about how creatures were mercilessly killed too – for an utopian "Union City", it was quite the mess.

«So much for being the perfect city, the "symbol of human and creatures living together in harmony"» the young 22-years-old woman mumbled, putting on her clothes.

She quickly ate her breakfast and then got out. Her cheerful neighbor, the cat girl Abbie, greeted her on the way out as usual. «Meow morning, Shirley!» «Good morning to you too, Abbie!» The tail of the cat girl wiggled expectantly. «So, meow, are ya cooking yar lovely biscuits today?» Shirley giggled.

«Well, if you would be so kind to help me with my shopping and get me the ingredients...» «Absomeowtly! The usual?» «The usual.» «Aye, gotcha covered, ya wonderful gal, ya!» Shirley chuckled. Abbie never failed to make her smile.

«Oh, stop it with your flattery, you tricky cat girl!» «Never, meow!» «Gotta go, see you later!» «See ya later, gal! Rock it!»

Shirley gave her a thumbs up before jolting down the stairs of her apartment. Yeah, today was the day. The day of her getting hired or fired for her first job, her dream job – being a member of the ORA, the Occult Research Agency.

It was kind of a clandestine group and it had a dangerous job, which was trying to peacefully resolve the conflict between creatures and humans and try to escalate the dangerous situations. It counted very few members, but it was known all across the city. It was feared and hated by some, loved by others. It was all risky business, but Shirley wasn't afraid of risks or rabid creatures.

On the contrary, she was fascinated by the diversity of the city people; there were harpies, vampires, animal-human hybrids and much, much more. It was really a melting pot, and despite all the darkness and conflict, there was some good in it too, and Shirley was determined to find it.

«Excuse me, I have to pass, excuse me...» she muttered under her breath while trying to find her way to the underground. From there, she would've gotten a train to the nearest bus station and she would've headed to the main base of the ORA.

Once in the underground, she jumped on a train and sat near a harpy. She was reading "Monster Fashion Today!" and it featured one of the most beloved monster models – Rick Wolfie, "a lycanthrope and proud to be one", as he loved to repeat.

Shirley found herself chuckling. Some things never changed. She peeked at the magazine, and found some nice fashion dresses and tips. Maybe someday she would've asked Abbie for one copy. She knew the cat girl was a huge fan of Monster Fashion Today.

"Stop number 5... Dracula Alley..." the speaker's monotonous voice announced. Shirley hopped down with a swift movement, looking around to see the bus stop. She spotted it and ran towards it.

«Let's see... Does number 107 pass here...?» «It does.» Shirley looked at the one speaking to her – it was a man on the middle thirties. «Really? How nice.» «Where are you headed, young lady?» The woman gave him a stern look. «Why ask?» «Well, you know... with all those recent killings by the hands of those dirty monsters, you've gotta be careful! I was just looking out for you!» «Thanks, but where I'm going is none of your business.» she abruptly replied.