Note to the Unknown Soldier

• Dedicated to To All the Unknown Soldiers~

In a simple Louisiana, ROTC classroom at the local high school, a group of twenty-four students and soon-to-be soldiers sat restlessly. It was ten minutes after the bell had rung, and still their teacher had not arrived. Another few minutes ticked by as the chatter increased rapidly, until finally the decorated Vietnam War veteran burst into the room.

"Sorry I'm late, young 'uns!" he bellowed, swooping down from the doorway to his desk, "I had ta go pick up somethin'."

In his left hand was a rather large and rather outdated boom-box, in his right was a crate filled to the brim with papers. He sat his items down and sauntered to the white board, grabbed a marker, and began to scribble across it.

'Note to the Unknown Soldier' said the writing on the board. General Thames, also known as Mr.Thames to his pupils, was a kind man with a heart of gold, which was about to show through in his lesson.

"Recently, we've been studyin' the ways of life overseas and how ta cope with the stress of fightin'." He said while hoisting the bin onto a table.

"Y'all know from what I've taught ya what serving a tour for our country is like. Hard, lonely, but rewardin'. I jus' wanted you kids to here this. It'll really change ya. After that, we'll have an assignment."

Throughout Thames's little speech, the teenagers in room 118 sat quietly, both interested and anxious to get started. From the black contraption on the other side of the room came the first notes of a piano melody, quick and concise. Sitting back in his chair, Thames got ready to observe his students' reaction to the music.

"Now, listen carefully, children. I don' want ya to miss this."

~ I don't know you, I never met you, For laughs I'll call you Sam...

You were the son of Mrs. Someone, I hope she understands.Sam, you were all that you had. Are you happy or sad? I never knew you, but I'm told you're the best we had.  Were you so tall?

Did you play Basketball? Was there a sweetheart at home? Did you write her letters? Did it make you better face the great unknown? Sam, did you feel alone? You were so far from home. I never knew you, but I know you're the best man I know.

Could you tell it was time? See it coming in the back of your mind? When it was over, was it over? Sam, I'm glad you're on my side. I don't know you.  I never met you. Can I call you Sam? Did you have a son? A daughter with a little one? I might go and thank.

Sam, you're the best that we have. You make me happy and sad. If you were here, I'd buy the beers. I'd shake your hand and say 'good man'. And though the sun would shine about the same,  it's a better world because you came. 

Sincerely yours,

My Kids Will Know Your Name~

The ROTC novices sat in shocked silence. Three minutes and twenty-seven seconds of eye-opening prose had forced them to consider the path they were about to go down. They might die, they might leave behind all that they know and love just to protect the United States. From what? From bombs and attacks? From petty political disputes? 

'Is this really worth it?' resounded through all their minds. Slowly, letting it sink in, one by one, the students stood up proudly and began to walk forward, firm in their decision. Each teenager took a piece of the paper in the carton and a pen from the bucket beside it. Every single person began to write their letters. Their own notes the the Unknown Soldiers.

At the back of classroom 118, in a local high school, in a simple Louisiana town, a decorated veteran leaned back and watched as the previously rowdy and rebellious children calmed down. He observed as they poured their hearts out onto thinly sliced sheets of wood shavings, acknowledging and appreciating the military men and women before them. Smiling, the General picked up a parchment of his own and began to write a letter as well.

On the corner of his desk in front of the room, rested a shining, silver nameplate; an old army award. Engraved in black, was the name of the most influential soldier that Lousiana had ever known.

General Samuel "Sam" Thames

In Honour of the Unknown Soldier, we present to you this award in rememberance of all that you have done for your country...~