Part 1

"Run harder!" yells coach, I swear he will lose his voice one of these days. We have to run 43 laps because people can't keep there mouths shut. Coach cusses at us sometimes when we screw up or something stupid. We have to run 50 laps around the Gym and we have two breaks that we get to use. Coach told us that we could use them at any time but don't expect any more, that he could take them away whenever were not running hard enough. After this we have to make the layup line perfectly straight or we run some more.

Joe can't keep his mouth shut half the time, he cusses but  low enough that couch can't hear him. We are one crappy team, and I believe that we can get into shape. Well maybe not Chunky but he is our backup and missed today's practice. Coach will get him back for that for sure.

I think coach is just worried about our game tomorrow night. He gets cranky when we have a game the next day (especially when the whole team wasn't there). Chunky usual never misses a practice and I am worried about that.

Then Sonny trips we all watch as he goes down. He is screaming in pain and Coach Rice doesn't seem to notice. I run over to his side.

Coach calls out " Leave him alone or you're going to have to run an extra 20 laps."

" I am not going to leave him alone, he is my teammate," said John.

" All of you why did you stop running, start it up. John, what the heck do you think you're doing, I said RUN!" Coach yelled.

My face flushes with embarrassment, and I start to turn away when Sonny catches my eyes, still rolling around on the ground holding his ankle. His eyes are tear filled and a look of like he might break out in tears any second now. I need to help I tell myself.

"NO!" I responded.

Coach turned around abruptly and said " WHAT ?"

I don't answer and turn away from him and help Sonny to his good foot. "I don't know what's broken yet but I can tell by the way he seems positive not to walk on it that it is bad." I said as I lead him to the locker room, so I can get my keys.

"I have to get ice for you," I told him as I sat him down on the bench. He calmed down a little bit and then I got my keys and went to find a janitor. I found one close-by cleaning the boys bathroom and I asked him for the keys to the med room, he handed them over without question. I ran to the med room and scooped up some ice and got a rag so the ice wouldn't freeze his leg off. I ran back to the janitor and handed him his keys and rushed off to Sonny. When I got back to Sonny he was groaning and really sweaty, I decide to put the ice down slowly so it doesn't hurt him and hurry up. I rummaged through my jeans and cut myself with my keys. Well, at least I found them Sonny was sweating a lot more now and was making horrible noises.

So I ran over to him and yanked him up to his feet and then told him to walk. We walked outside the locker room, and saw that the whole team is walking towards us and Brandon muttered under his breath, so coach doesn't hear (who of which is smoking on the bleachers) says "You're in for one heck of a ride next practice".