Chapter 1

"Braelynn, honey. We're here."

The institute looked like an over exaggerated school. The staff, dressed in casual, bright coloured clothes – avoiding anything black. Their smiling faces made my stomach tighten, but I was here for a reason. A week ago, I had attempted to take my own life.

I stared into my lap as my mother got out of the driver's seat and stopped in front of my door.

"This will help you, I promise. I'm so proud of you."

My mother wiped a stray tear before opening my car door and ushering me out. Her expression was mixed with pain and guilt. It wasn't her fault, but I could see the blame hidden behind her eyes.

The last week had been a blur. I didn't know it was possible to run out of tears, but I hadn't cried since it happened.

We stepped into the front foyer. The institute, named 'Weathersby Clinic' after Jonathan Weathersby – the founder and co-owner, offered me a broad selection of different pamphlets on various treatments ranging from drug addiction to simple counselling. Of course, I was here to get more than just counselling, but it was comforting knowing that not everybody here would be as messed up as me.

I clutched my small bag, it was only permitted that I bring a few personal items for the duration of my stay. Inside it was a photo of my mother and I, a teddy bear from my best friend and a packet of chocolate that I had hoped to sneak in.

Let's just say the chocolate never made it.

I hugged my crying mother goodbye. Her dark brown hair, littered with strands of grey fell into her hazel eyes. The signs of her age had stared to show, but behind it all, her youth still shone through. It was hard, watching the light fade from her once excited eyes as my illness became more present. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt her. One of the reasons I agreed to come here was for her.

I was led though a long, bland corridor and out into an open area shaped much like a school oval. It was large, but not too large. I had noticed that everything here was done in moderation. Nothing was too overdone, but it was enough.

There was a large, five story building to my right and it was there where I first saw him.

Sitting hunched over on a small bench, his head in his hands and his fingers visibly shaking. He looked strong but vulnerable at the same time. The type of person who would bottle everything up and never let anyone inside. A trait that I had come to call my own. It was strange seeing it displayed in another person.

I passed him as I headed to my room, accompanied by a member of staff that was way too happy in my mind. He must have heard us coming because his head shot up at the sound of our approaching footsteps.

His dark locks fell into his even darker eyes. Eyes that hid a thousand emotions but were surrounded by a rim of red. I had learned not to judge a long time ago, and I knew that he must have been here for a reason. But I was held captive by his gaze. I didn't know him, but something inside of me didn't want him to be hurting.

The moment was short lived as a voice broke my concentration.

"Asher, please come this way."

A tall, lanky doctor stepped out from a doorway and placed a hand on his shoulder.

I couldn't help myself and as glanced though the door that he disappeared into, I could tell that his life was about to be changed as much as mine would be.

-----

A/N Hey guys! I know this chapter is short, but it's important. I'm really excited to share this story with everyone and I hope you'll all enjoy it as much as I have.

Just a warning, this story will contain hard topics and things that I believe are not talked about enough.

Mental illness is hard, and it's not always like the movies.

Anyways, thank you so much if you've made it to the end of this chapter:) please vote and comment your thoughts

Lots of love

-Caramel396