Their Promise

Yana's Point of View

"Class, I like all the stories that you made and submitted to me. I can say that, you all did a great job. But, I want you to know that I've already picked the best story for me. This story really caught my attention."  Sabi ni Ma'am sabay taas ng hawak niyang folder.

"I think there's something in this story. That if you have already read this, you'll going to ask yourself,  'Is this story is a real life experience?' Kasi, you know the feeling habang binabasa 'to? Damang-dama eh. Parang may pinaghuhugutan."  Dagdag pa niya.

Teka...akin ba yan?

"Kanino po ba yan, Ma'am?"  Tanong ng isa kong kaklase.

"Okay. This story is written by...Yana."  Nakangiti akong tiningnan ni Ma'am. Sabi na akin yung story na tinutukoy ni Ma'am eh.

"Galing mo, Bes."  Bulong sa 'kin ni Jane, bestfriend ko. Nginitian ko lang siya.

"So, like what I've said before, if I've choose your story you'll going to read it in front of the class. So, Yana, please read your story here in front." Sabi pa ni Ma'am sabay ngiti. Dahan-dahan naman akong tumayo at pumunta sa harapan. Kinuha ko ang folder na inabot sa 'kin ni Ma'am at binuksan ito. Ito nga ang ginawa kong kuwento. Tungkol sa aming dalawa.

"This story is entitled, 'Broken Promises'. "  Panimula ko pa. Bumuntong-hininga pa muna ako bago ito malakas na binasa.

"The first time I saw him, I felt something weird. That I can't breathe well because my heart beats so fast and my cheeks turns into red everytime he smiles at me. Everytime I'm with him, I always felt that weird feeling again and again and I don't know what it is. Until I realized and asked myself, 'Is this what they called...love at first sight?'  Then we became friends. As years passed, we became closer. Then he admitted that he likes me. And then I did the same too. I also admitted that I like him. That I have feelings for him. He decided to court me. And when the time comes that he asks me, 'Can you be mine? And then I'll be yours too.'  I love him and he loves me too so I didn't hesitate to say, yes. We're both happy. Our relationship became stronger and stronger. But of course, in a relationship, we can't avoid misunderstandings but it's not a reason for us to stop loving each other. Until, a big problem came in our lives. He was diagnosed that he has a stage 3 brain cancer. He almost lived in the hospital just to cure and monitor him. Then I discovered that he already knew before that he has a brain cancer but he didn't chose to say it to me because he don't want me to pity him and get sad and worried because of his condition."  Tumigil muna ako sa pagbabasa dahil nagsisimula na akong maging emosyonal. Bumuntong-hininga pa ako ulit at lumunok ng mariin bago magbasa dahil parang may nakabara sa lalamunan ko.

"Instead of getting mad on what he did, I get sad and cried instead. I know that he chose not to say something about his condition for my own sake. He is selfless. Everyday he's getting weaker and weaker. I know that he's just trying to hide the pain he feels by smiling. The pain not only in physical, but also in emotional. Although his doctor said that he has no chance and he has only a month to live, we didn't lose hope. I'm always praying to God for Lucas to get well. We were always saying our promises to each other. That he won't leave me and I won't leave him too. That we will stay on each other's side and love each other no matter what happens. He never get tired on saying his promises...our promises."