Hospital Valentine - One Direction Short Story

*Please note I do not have any form of cancer I’m just trying to represent how people that do have cancer would feel if they had a great experience and what life’s like for them*

Sitting in a dark, uncomfortable hospital room sometimes becomes almost unbearable.  Although this is my life now. I grab the bucket from the bedside table next to my extremely uncomfortable hospital bed when I get the sickening urge I need to vomit. I hate it. Since I was 7 I’ve had to deal with a life full of gruelling chemotherapy and numerous operations to keep me alive one day at a time. I’m sick of it. It’s like I’m living in a constant nightmare that I can’t escape.  I feel the burning travelling up my throat and acidic taste burst into my mouth. My Mum wakes to the sound of me vomiting and dry reaching.

“Go back to sleep, I know you need it.” I urge my mum with my barely audible voice.

“But Kyra-“

“Mum, I’m fine this is my life now, I’ve learnt to deal with it, just close your eyes. If I need you I’ll wake you up or call for the doctor.” I say, my voice cracking worse by each word. I try my best to offer a reasonable smile.

“Alright… but if you need anything-“

“Just let you know, it’s fine Mum, I know. “

“If you say so…” My Mum says already drifting off into oblivion.

So you’re probably wondering why I’m always in hospital. Well the truth is I have Leukaemia, I’m 15 and I was diagnosed with cancer when I was seven and my name is Kyra. I sadly have no other siblings because when I was diagnosed Mum devoted her life to care for me. My Dad, well, he left when I was 3 and got hit by a car and went into a coma in critical condition and eventually dies when I was almost 6. My Mum also has severe depression, sometimes I blame myself for it, if I wasn’t sick she wouldn’t be in this state of mind and have to live the way she lives. I’m currently in hospital getting dosed up on chemotherapy, it makes you fell gross and look ugly but hey, I’m still here and breathing so that’s the main thing, right?

I’m not always lonely sometimes my cousins and aunt’s visit; even my friends from school before I was diagnosed have stuck by me and supported me through this whole adventure. My friends surprised me last year and shaved their heads and raised over $3000 for the leukaemia foundation, when I found out I was in hysterics tears streaming down my face because of how supportive they have been throughout this whole experience.

It was my birthday 3 days ago, my family saved up to buy me a laptop and portable dvd player for when I’m in hospital. I was wrapped! Oh, just one last thing my absolute favourite band is ONE DIRECTION! They have helped me throughout the past year so much.

After half an hour I feel much better and decide to go on Facebook and this website my friend got me into called Movellas. It’s  the only place where I can express my feelings through writing, I have a few hundred fans but having fans or likes and whatever doesn’t bother me I just like the fact of being able to express my lie and feelings. I go onto the home page having a general check when I get blinded by the most gorgeous picture, five boys, indescribably hot… One direction! I click onto the picture and get sent to a page which tells me it’s a competition where you must incorporate One direction and Valentine’s Day into a short story or paragraph and the person with the most likes gets to spend the day with Liam and Harry from One Direction! Obviously I wasn’t going to win but it was better to enter to pass time. After an hour and a half my story is done, it’s pretty good I guess, but it’s still a few days until the competition end so I don’t know what will happen until then. I get discharged from the hospital shortly after and I am excited to get home to check to see if I got any likes.