「36th period」: hospital time

K A R M A A K A B A N E
赤羽
student no. 1

"Her real name is Iroha Kozue. She was simply adopted into the Inukai family, earning her surname. She lives away from her parents who work abroad. In second grade she transferred in the middle of the school year (that was her last encounter with Okuda before middle school). She has an older brother, Haruto Kozue who is currently in a coma, said to be heir of the family. According to Korosensei, the woman who visited yesterday was the person who acts as her guardian, Hiyori Kozue, her sister-in-law".

So far that was all we got.

"Well, that's the gist of it" Isogai said as he finished reciting the list.

"We should try searching in groups" Yada suggested.

"Right!" The octopus instructed us, "Nagisa-kun's group, please visit her brother in the hospital. Terasaka-kun's group, follow her guardian and ask as many questions as you can, Ritsu will give you her coordinates. Isogai-kun's group I'd like you to find out what you can in her apartment. And lastly, Nakamura-san's group, do what you must to investigate the recent gang fights she's been involved in".

 And lastly, Nakamura-san's group, do what you must to investigate the recent gang fights she's been involved in"

Well, that was that, the whole reason why we were stuck in the hospital acting as Iroha's pity party.

Basically, we were just sitting here in a dead silent room, surprised by the fact that we'd meet Terasaka's group, thanks to their target. With a few others outside the room, the only people left inside were Me, Nagisa, Kayano, Okuda, Kanzaki, Terasaka, Itona and Hazama.

She sighed after arranging the flowers we brought into the vase. "It really felt like someone was following me, I just didn't think it would be a bunch of middle schoolers".

She turned to us, with a sad smile in her face. "You're Iroha's classmates, are you not?" she asked, to which we just responded with a nod.

"So therefore, I assume that you know about the creature who blew up the moon and the stuff about tentacle cells?".

We looked at her, quite surprised about what she knew. But still, we answered weakly with a "Yes".

"That guy, your teacher, I thought he already told you about it but I guess it is a good thing that you hadn't learned about it earlier" she said.

So Korosensei knew that this could happen, huh?

"What do you mean, Kozue-san?" Nagisa asked politely.

"Well, honestly, I talked to them to discuss Iroha's withdrawal in Class E. Out of all the classes, I believe she'll just loose it there. And it's not about the grades or the hierarchy going on in your school. It's just that Iroha's breaking and that would trigger it even more" she admitted.

"To explain it, ever since birth, Iroha was physically weak. There was an imbalance in her brain, which caused her to be ill supposedly all her life. She stayed in the hospital everyday 'till the point where in her parents gave up on her. And since my brother was working on the creation of cells, when he knew of Iroha's condition, he decided that it was a perfect opportunity to test his experiment. After all, Iroha only had a few months left before she dies. Soon enough, he managed to create cells that could enhance human capabilities, this helped the imbalance. However, this messed up a particular part of her brain. Specifically the part that manages urges. Therefore, Iroha has a huge amount of bloodlust. Huge enough that her body can't handle it, and it tears her apart. The only way to manage it was to engage her in strenuous activities such as combat, knife work, kendo, judo and all the other things that are involved in assassination".

"But it wasn't enough, and her mind started tearing itself apart..." Itona guessed.

"Right" the woman confirmed before continuing. "She has the same conditions like those of vampires. Although vampires are made of fiction, when it comes to Iroha, she has a thirst to kill or to engage in combat. And it only get stronger when she fights it off or resists it. Being triggered by the pressure of having to kill your teacher, made it even worse. Therefore, Iroha needs some kind of release. Right now, she's most likely in rehabilitation".

"Has it happened, once? A relapse?" I queried, only to earn silence.

She looked at me, before confirming it. "Well rather than a potential in assassination, if we teach her well enough, she might as well have a talent for mass murder. Her first relapse sent a lot of people to the hospital including..." She cut herself off, her gaze toward her husband seemed to have answered more than enough. "But she hasn't killed someone. I can assure you that"

"I thought her brother got into a car accident---" Kayano asked politely, trying to pry kindly.

"It's the real reason behind her brother's coma. She's most likely terrified of being able to do the same to your class. Do you understand? That girl is an actual killing machine".

"So we just have to feed the darkness within her or have her kill someone" Hazama suggested.

"I say we sacrifice Terasaka~" I smirked.

"Oi! Oi! Hazama, why does it always have to involve darkness with you?! And Karma, what kind of joke is that" the guy immediately exclaimed. "I took her hits and boy, it didn't feel good".

"What should we do?" Okuda worried.

"You can't do anything" her guardian sighed. "Like I said, she's in rehabilitation, you may not see her any time this year".

"But, why is it that you seem like you often stay with with her, despite the fact that her parents wanted her away?" Nagisa asked her.

"You noticed?" she looked back at him as he replied with a nod.

"Well, Iroha's like a sister to me. I can't just leave her like that. Besides, her brother loves her as much as I do---"

"Then we feel the same way" he cut her off.

"Iroha-chan isn't a monster. She's part of the class" Kanzaki smiled politely to which everyone agreed.

"So first thing's first," Itona said. "We have to find her".

"You kids are special, huh?" Iroha's guardian looked at us, quite impressed. "Your teacher must be amazing, considering the fact that Iroha's been opening up to you".

"No, we have yet to pry her walls apart" I told her.

"Akabane-kun. The fact that you're making an effort seems good enough for me".