Chapter 1: Samuel

I walked down the dirt road back to our little house. I was nineteen at the time, young and reckless with nothing to do.
Almost there I thought, wiping the sweat off my brow. Father wont mind but Mother will lecture me for being home late. Good thing i was.

There he was, standing in the middle of the dusty road. Staring. Looking up at the setting sky, vacant.
"Hey Kid!" I yelled from a few yards away.
But he just kept standing there
As i got closer i noticed his olive skin was pale and he was rather skinny, his clothes hanging off his shoulders and brushing against the middle of his thighs then his feet were dusty and bare. He must have been at least of elementary school age with his childlike figure.
"Are you lost kiddo?-" He finally turned around, now looking up at me.

    It was his eyes that caught me. His liquid gold eyes staring into my boring brown. One look was all it took.
   One look was all it took to tell me how long he was looking for shelter. One look was all it took to tell me where ever he came from, or whatever weight on the child's shoulders didn't matter anymore. He needed me.
"C'mon.. Lets get you cleaned up" I ruffled his dark brown hair and gestured for him to follow me and he followed quietly.
"Gotta name?"
Silence.
"Well, since you wont say i'll call you.... Gabriel" I gave him a kind smile, for thats all i could give at the time.
"G-Gabriel"
Although he seemed to be beaming, smiling. His small voice was brittle.
And so, he named me brother.