Just a Touch-Up

This is my very first fanfiction ever, so please no hating. I do want constructive criticism, though. Please review! I'd like to thank gracie1850 for checking out the story and helping

Disclaimer: No matter how many dandelions I blow, The Mortal Instruments will always be the creation of the wonderful Cassandra Clare.

Clary had always liked her hair.

She had always known she wasn't beautiful, regardless of what Jace said. But her hair had always been a nice touch to her rather boring face. Red was such a strong, fiery color. Jace would often tease her, saying it matched her temper. It also wasn't very common. It stood out and helped make up for her height. So of course, she had never considered changing its color or volume. Curly strands of fire were what she wore best. But a bit of alcohol could loosen anyone's opinion.

It began freezing cold day in December. Alec's birthday had passed a few weeks ago, but he had been too busy to celebrate. Now his boyfriend had decided he wanted to hold a party for the occasion.

"Not a party filled with balloons and streamers," he informed Clary when he had told her about his idea. They were in a booth at Taki's after Magnus had called her with an emergency and told her to meet him at the diner. "I feel like Alexander should get a chance to be a teenager and not a Shadowhunter for once. Go out to a club. Get drunk. Get a tattoo." Clary rolled her eyes at him and took a sip of her drink.

"I doubt Alec will be up for any of that. But theoretically speaking, if he did agree, I don't see why I have to come. Clubs aren't my thing. I'm sure Alec and you could have tons of fun without me."

"I'm quite sure Alec and I could have fun without you," he said suggestively, raising an eyebrow at Clary. She glared at him from her place behind her drink. Magnus grinned at her. "But this is the first time Alec and I will celebrate his birthday together. Jace and Izzy can come too if it's any consolation. Though I don't see why you need it. Are Alec and I not enough for you?" He asked, misery coating his words. She snorted at him.

"Magnus, you know I love you. But I don't love watching you and Alec getting in on in a club. Which is a definite if alcohol and your tight pants are involved." Magnus looked at her slyly.

"I won't be the only one wearing tight clothes Clary, I'll tell you that much. I think Jace deserves it, after all. You only wear bulky sweaters and sweatpants during winter. That poor boy must be losing his damn mind." Clary glared at him.

"Fine. I'll come. But don't expect to me to wear glitter or fishnet stockings or anything."

/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/

"How do I always get dragged into these things?", Clary asked herself. She was in Magnus's apartment, sitting in front of a vanity mirror. To her astonishment, Alec had agreed to Magnus's idea, most likely for Magnus's sake. Tonight was the night Magnus had decided to hold Alec's celebration, so he demanded that she come visit him beforehand so she wouldn't look like "A washed-up old beach whale", or so Magnus had said. Burrowed deep in his closet was an impressive amount of women's clothing, but Clary didn't ask about it. Instead, she stood quietly to the side as Magnus threw millions of tops, pants, skirts, and other things Clary didn't care to know about out of his closet. Once in awhile, Magnus would mutter foul language under his breath about how out of season turtlenecks were, or how his peter pan collars would never see the light of day again. After an eternity, he pulled out an outfit and shoved Clary into the bathroom with a handful of leather and spikes. She stepped out wearing a tight gray tank with a sleeveless vest covered in zippers. She filled out a pair of ripped black jeans quite well, and the black combat boots with heels helped her look much taller and mature. Magnus was now applying a thin layer of eyeshadow and eyeliner to her face. Her hair was down in its natural curls, and though she appreciated all he had done for her, she was sick of all the beauty treatments. "Magnus, are you done yet?", She asked impatiently. The cool tip of the liquid eyeliner took one more diving sweep down her eyelid before he popped the cap back on.