Chapter 1

January 27, 1957
     It was a clear January night in Lubbock, Texas. The streets were silent all through the town. Buddy Holley was packing up to leave his friend, Jerry's, house at around midnight after a few good hours of song writing. However, Buddy's contract with Decca Records just ended. Buddy wasn't getting any good out of Decca anyway. In a couple of weeks he and Jerry Allison were planning a trip to Clovis, New Mexico to pay a visit to an old friend, Norman Petty. He owned a studio there, and would record the small town band. Jerry and Buddy had written about three songs that night. All of which still needed to be worked on.
     Buddy snapped his guitar case close, took one last drink from his water, and said goodbye to Jerry before going out to his truck. He threw his guitar in the back, which made an odd noise. "This old truck." Buddy mumbled to himself. It was until he heard it again. This time he could firmly make out it was a person. Crying? Buddy walked over to the drivers side and saw a little girl sobbing in a ball. It was too dark to make out what she was wearing, but it looked very worn out. The young singer stood there in shock . He did not know what to do.
     "Hey, what are you doing out here alone? Where are your parents?" Buddy knelt down to her height. Now he could see she was shaking awful and her clothes were a mess. He also noticed a bag at her side.
     "They-they w-went th-that w-way. Th-they l-left m-me here a-lone." She stuttered through her tears. Buddy took off his brown coat, prepared to hand it to her.
     "Are you cold?" Buddy asked. The toddler nodded and got closer to Buddy who picked her up. The coat was draped around her shoulders, but she continued to shiver and Buddy noticed a wheeze in her breathing. Since he was in front of Jerry's house, and she couldn't wait too longer for food and warmth, he walked back up Jerry's porch. That was when Buddy forgot about the bag she had. It could have information on the quiet girl. The door swung open and Jerry could not believe his eyes.
     "Who-who is she?"
     "Can I come in?" Buddy asked. Of course, Jerry did let Buddy Holley and her in. Buddy placed her in the recliner closest toward the kitchen.
     "Jerry I need a few blankets." Buddy calmly asked a blank Jerry. A few seconds later Jerry returned with two large blankets. Buddy wrapped the blankets around the little girl then took Jerry in the kitchen to explain.
     "Buddy, what are you doing?" Jerry demanded.
     "I don't know. She was crying next to my truck. When I asked where her parents were she cried harder. We outta call the doctor because she was wheezin' pretty bad."
     "What's her name?" Jerry glanced around the corner to the girl who was now asleep.
     "I don't know. But..." Buddy cut himself off and ran out the front door, got the girl's bag, and went back to the kitchen.
     "What the hell is that?"
     "Her bag. It might have some information." Buddy rummaged through the bag and on the front pocket was a note. After checking to see if the girl was still asleep, Buddy took out the note.
     "What does it say?" Jerry questioned.

Thank you for reading this chapter of a wonderful book already, written by my friend, S.R., I'm sure that I am as excited as you to see where this story goes! :)