Chapter One

On the morning my forever began I woke up late.

 I woke up to sound of my alarm and the taste of bile in my throat, So I ran to the bathroom to throw up. I look in the mirror to see my blue eyes bloodshot and ringed. My usually blond, well kept hair, Is dark and matted with sweat... "That party really took a toll on me." I tell myself as I wash my face. "Now for the best cure to a hangover".

I open the bottom drawer in my bathroom and pull out a small wooden box, and open it. I pull out my pipe, the last gram of my 50 sack, and a few Vicodin. Following my morning routine, I smoke the rest of my weed, pop a few pills, then leave the bathroom and collapse on my bed letting the drugs take over.

 As I lay on my bed drifting in and out of sleep I look over to my alarm clock that reads 8:30 A.M. "SHIT, I SLEPT IN!!", I curse myself. I run downstairs to see my little brother, Sam, packed and ready to go. He looks a lot like me. We both have blonde hair and wide blue eyes, but his are always accompanied by a mischievous smile. This was a trait I lost a long time ago.  Along with our  below average height and our pale skin, we look somewhat like elves. 

"WHY DIDN'T YOU WAKE ME UP?! YOU KNEW I HAD TO DRIVE YOU TO SCHOOL AT 7:00!!" I yell at him. He responds with the sarcastic grin unique to only 7 year old boys, "It smelled like you needed your sleep, you smell like a bar." To which curtly respond, "Don't talk that way... You shouldn't know about that kinda stuff, you're only 7." Sam then teasingly replies, "I know that kinda stuff cause of Mom."

 This stings me a little bit. Sam doesn't understand this as he is just a kid, but our mom has been a low functioning alcoholic for as long as I can remember. She consistently throws fits over the smallest things, and she can never drive since she is almost always wasted. Because of this I have to drive Sam everywhere, even to school in the morning. Its not like I want this responsibility, but no one else but me can do it. My dad is works every day till nine, and I don't have any relatives nearby to help out. This makes me Sam's full time baby sitter. I pretend that its a chore, but I secretly love it. Since my mom is impossible to deal with, and my dad is always gone, Sam is my only real family. I mean sure I have friends, but I never feel close to them, and the only time I really see them is when I'm partying or getting high. While Sam... He is my best friend, my confidant. my brother.

Me and Sam are about to head out the door when my mother comes down in a rage. "Donnie!! Why haven't you left yet!?" she says, slurring every word. "well I--..." I try to explain, when she cuts me off with one of her drunken rants. San and I have learned to block her out when she gets like this. That way everything just goes by easier. After twenty minutes of yelling and screaming, she tells us to go before we are late. Before I go I run up stairs to my bathroom and grab my little wooden box, and down a few more pills while sighing, "Today is going to be a long day."

I go downstairs to get Sam, then hop in the car. I start feeling the few extra pills, and wonder whether I am safe to drive, but quickly dismiss the thought. "I'll be fine, I do this all the time" I tell myself.

I get to the highway, when Sam's favourite song, Rock-star, comes on. Its not my favourite song by any means, but whenever it comes on Sam bursts into song. like always he begins singing along and his mirth is contagious. I begin singing along, and having the best time I have had in a while. I forget about our alcoholic mother. I forget about our absent father. I forget about my anger, fear, and depression. A high note comes so I close my Eyes. the drugs make me weightless, but when I open my eyes, all that fear comes crashing back. I am head to head with an on coming semi- truck. I look over and see my brother. one moment his eyes are closed, and a smile is on his face, he's singing his favourite song without a worry in the world. Then the next moment everything is gone. My world goes black.