white lilies

The world Amara lives in is a terrible one. Their world is monotone, black and white without a splotch of color. In Amara's world, the moment your eyes meet your soulmate's, vivid color explode like fireworks. From then on, until either you or your soulmate's death, the beauty of scarlet apples and the golden sun will swirl around your vision. If one soulmate were to die, their soul would live on as a star until the death of their other half. The star would then disappear with their soulmate.

Amara stares up at the night sky. Three or four dull dots scatter across their vision and they heave a heavy sigh. Thanks to modern technology and medicine, the soulmate death count has decreased throughout the years. It's one of the only positive outcomes of such a monochrome universe. Amara couldn't wait until they could meet their soulmate. Just the thought of sharing a world of color with their destined love sounds beautiful.

The next morning, Amara walks out to the city. Amara doesn't live in an all too busy setting. Few strangers would pass by them with every passing moment. Their faces are blank, void of any emotion. A sad world indeed. A crosswalk comes into view. The bottom light appears a darker shade of grey than the light atop. Amara stops, cars racing by. As soon as the top light darkens, Amara looks up to cross the street. Then, they stop. Crystal blue, the first color they see. The blue eyes widen with shock.

A terrible world indeed. Amara's vision floods with a single shade of red. The scarlet pools around Amara's soulmate, who lays like a stone on the ground. The crystal eyes are gone. Witnesses immediately dial for an ambulance, and the car quickly flees. A hit and run. Amara's sight blurs as they let out a strangled cry. Their lover is long gone. The thought of sharing a world of color with your destined love sounds far from beautiful now. It's disgusting. Amara's world may live in color now, but they are without their soulmate.

For now, Amara could only lay a bouquet of white lilies upon their lover's gravestone. White lilies, the traditional flowers for a funeral and death. How painfully ironic. A new star had appeared in the sky later that night. With their eyes, Amara could make out the shape of a white lily, the last star completing its formation. Even after death, Amara could not give their soulmate flowers of color. The world Amara lives in is a terrible one.