1.0

I grab my phone and text my friend. 'Yo Joel, wanna come over?' I text him. I get up from the couch and enter the kitchen.

"Ey, Nene, me ayudas con los trastes?" My mom asks once she sees me.

"Si, ay voy, Mami," I reply.

In the kitchen, my mom and I make small talk. Her music - the one she used to sing - is playing in the background. I start to sing along with her.

"Pues que armonía," my dad says, laughing as he enters the kitchen.

Just then I get a text from Joel. 'Mom and dad are out, and they said I'm supposed to stay with my sister. You can come over tho?' I pause and think for a minute. 'Sure, I'll be over in a bit.'

"Como ya estas aquí, este es mi cue. Los veo al rato!" I shout before walking out the kitchen.

As I'm about to leave, my little sister, Amaia, crosses my path.

"A donde vas, Jaime?" She asks me.

"Voy con Joel un rato. Al ratito te veo, princesa," I say and kiss her cheek before walking out of the house.

Joel's house is not that far away, so I decide to walk. I plug my headphones into my phone and sing along to the music that is blaring through them. I'm almost to the house when Carlos and his friends stop me. He says something, but I can't hear him because of my headphones. I take the headphones out of my ears and turn to look at him.

"What do you want, Carlos?" I ask him, not really in the mood for any of his teasing.

"Woah, calm down," Carlos says with a smirk. "Are you trying to scare me?"

"Actually I'm not. I'm trying to get somewhere, so if you could just get out of my way, I'll be leaving."

"Wanna be a smart ass, huh dweeb?" He says frowning.

"I've always been smart," I mutter under my breath.

"What was that?" He asks, grabbing my shirt with his fists.

"Nothing," I reply.

"That's what I thought," he lets go of my shirt, "now get the hell out," he pushes me to the ground and walks away, laughing with his two other friends.

I get up a dust off my pants and shirt. I fucking hate him. I shake my head and keep walking towards Joel's.

..

I knock on Joel's door. I never really come here. It's always Joel at my place. A girl in a white tank top and grey shorts opens the door. I've seen her around school a few times. She's in my grade. She's also Joel's sister, although I've never really spoken to her before.

"Uh, hi. Is Joel home?" I ask.

"Yeah, come in. I'll tell him you came..." She pauses.

I'm feeling confused. "Uh, thanks?"

She laughs a little, "I'm waiting for your name."

Oh. Oh! "It's Jaime."

"Alright, Jaime. Let me go call him."

I nod as she turns.

"Ey, don't just stand awkwardly at the door. Sienta te," she tells me and I chuckle, walking into the living room.