Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not own Teen Wolf or it's characters. Sadly.

Xxx

"It has to be you, Y/N," Scott said quietly.

You looked over to Lydia where she stood next to him. "But you're his tether. You pulled him back last time."

She shrugged, smiling somewhat sadly. "That was last time. This is this time. I pulled Stiles back. I didn't have to deal with the Nogitsune, and I don't particularly want to, to be honest."

"They're right," Derek said, walking over slowly, arms crossed tightly as always, and you turned to look at him, dreading the sincerity you saw in his eyes. "The Void side of Stiles has taken quite an interest in you. Maybe you can talk it into leaving, or changing hosts or something. I mean, send it over to Peter and I will gladly take care of the rest for you."

Lydia huffed as Scott slammed his palm to his forehead, letting his hand scrape down his face in exasperation.

You smirked. "Derek, as much as I like that plan, it's obvious Peter wouldn't stay that way for long."

Derek looked over to where his Uncle sat in a chair on the other side of Scott's living room, both glowering at each other. "We can keep trying and hope it sticks."

Deaton walked over, placing a hand gently on your shoulder. "Back on subject," he looked at Derek pointedly before turning back to you, "they are right. What you would have to do is very dangerous. Very risky. You're trying to out trick the trickster, who has had hundreds of years to perfect his moves. You have to be careful and play your pieces just right, not too aggressive, before you make your divine move."

"I have to change the tide," you said softly, looking over to where the shell of your friend was sobbing in front of Melissa, and you started to move towards them without thought, stopping at Deaton's hand on your arm. Looking back, he met your eyes as he held a finger to his lips before flicking his gaze back to the couch.

Melissa removed the tape, and almost instantly, the tears streaming down his face melted into that sarcastic grin the Nogitsune continuously twisted onto Stiles' features. Slamming the tape back onto his mouth, Melissa came over to join you all where you stood in the kitchen.

Looking back at Deaton as he gave your elbow one reassuring squeeze before letting go, he gave you a single nod, his face almost apologetic.

"Whatever you guys are going to do, do it soon," Melissa said as she joined the rest of you. Her arms were crossed much like Derek's, wound tightly around herself like a shield. "That thing is taking over the body of a boy I consider a second son, and that is not okay." Letting her arms fall, she pointed across the room at the Nogitsune, and you all turned to look at him. You could tell he was smiling under the tape across his mouth as he tilted his head to the side somewhat disconcertingly. His eyes narrowed as he stared at you, sending chills down your spine. Looking between you and the fox she was still pointing to, Melissa leaned in slightly closer to you, looking you right in the eyes, speaking quietly in a voice that left no room for argument. "Go kick that smug little son of a bitch's ass. And bring back Stiles. You're our only chance, Y/N."

Glancing at Melissa once more, then back to the Void, whose shoulders shrugged in a small laugh, you stood up straight, letting your eyes flash their brilliant golden yellow briefly before turning back to Scott. "What do I have to do?"

Xxx