The Pebble

"Knock, knock," the wooden door loudly and cheerfully announced my presence. I heard an excited yelp and a rush of footsteps. Suddenly the door swung open, and I was enveloped by welcoming arms.

"Binia, it's so good to see you!"

"Sophie, my dear, I have missed you so much!" Although it's only been about a week since I last saw her, I truly meant it when I said it.

Sophia has been my friend and advisor since we first met and she has taught me so much. One of these things was laughter. She has a constant smile on her face, and it is truly beautiful, because it is not merely a surface smile. It is a smile that seems to originate from deep within; a place of beauty and joy. Fortunately for me, Sophia has been nothing but eager to share this place with me.

"Oh, do come in," Sophia eagerly grinned at me. "I have deprived myself of coffee since this morning for this visit!"

As we walked through her house, I once again saw the knick-knacks she has placed on every available surface. There were rocks, crystals, pebbles, sand smoothed glass, and all types of animals carved from driftwood that she picks up. To the ordinary eye, they are not worth the attention or the time, but to Sophia they were treasures, and her eyes sparkled as she told where she found each, and what they meant to her. I always laugh at her stories, because they are strange and out of the ordinary, but in each and every one, a message can be found, a lesson is taught, and an example is made.

Today, Sophia had in her hand a black pebble covered in white flecks, just big enough to fit in her cupped hand. She undoubtedly had another story to tell.

"Binia,"she excitedly started to speak as she moved about the kitchen, placing cups, pouring water, and fetching our coffee's contents. "Look at what I found!

Isn't it just beautiful? I found it amongst the rocks at the end of the lagoon. It stood out, you know?"

I laughed quietly as I took in her animated gestures. "So, tell me: what is this one's story?"

"Well, let's see," Sophia thoughtfully sat with her chin on her palm as she looked off into the distance. Suddenly she sat up and cheekily grinned at me. "I've got it!" and as she started to paint a picture of a world with talking objects, singing weather, and colours beyond description, I drifted into an abyss of tranquillity.

* * * *

Long ago in a far off place, where there were no disturbances of human movement; great lumbering trucks, noisy alarms, and booming aeroplanes, one could hear things abnormal to human ears. One could hear the rumble of the mountains, the sweet melody of a drifting breeze, and the seeming twitter of the leaves greeting it enthusiastically. Among this there was a specific voice that stood out for no other reason than shrill annoyance. It was the voice of a single rock that had broken off a high mountain and was bragging on his so-called prowess as a survivor of the forest.

"I am older than all you silly trees. You think you are so majestic and beautiful because of your height. Meanwhile, your lives are only temporary applications in this place we call home. The woodsmen will come and you will be cut down to make firewood, chairs, and stools. Oh, and you shrubs, do you think you'll live longer because of your lush vegetation? Ha! You think wrong. With the first winter, you will wither away and die! Do not even let me start with the pathetic flowers. They are merely decorations, and are of no use to anyone! I, on the other hand, will live longer than you all combined. All you could do is imagine what that much time is like, for never will

you be able to experience it."

The forest plants were by this time so used to the verbal abuse that they paid no mind to the arrogant rock, instead using the time they had to live fully. The trees grew as tall as they possibly could, living as tall as they could live for the glory of their Creator. The shrubs grew as lusciously and widely as they possibly could, hoping to reach the ends of the world with the beauty of their Creator. Lastly, the simple flowers shone their striking colours every time they saw the sun, striving to show the passion of their Creator. Many came to see the beauty of the forest, and many left in awe of the Maker of this alluring spectacle.