Split

"Uh- for love and relationship, encourage you and your partner to go his or her own way..." the words escaped from Jen's mouth.

"Oh Rhett, I'm sorry buddy," Link said, looking over at me. He stared into my eyes, I could sense the hurt behind the sky-blue mask. I looked down, playing it off as I was laughing.

These tarot card readings are just a hoax, right? They have to be. I'm not leaving Jessie, and I'm certainly not leaving the kids. It'd be too hard for them. I remember comforting Link after his mother and father split. I remember us sitting up in my room, as he ranted to me, tears pooled in his eyes. I remember how he sobbed over feeling worthless, as if he wasn't enough. I understood, even though it was hard to show.

We continued with the episode, playing it all off as a silly game. That's all tarot cards are, a silly game.

That's what you think.

After Good Mythical More was finally over, I tip-toed around the spilled vinegar on the ground. I slipped the tarot card in my pocket, wanting to learn more about it later. I practically sprinted down the hallway, entering my office. I began to close my office door, when a hand grabbed mine.

"Can I come in?" Link's crystal eyes tugged at my heartstrings.

"Y-yeah," I said, shutting the door behind him. Link paced around for a while, before finally sitting on the couch I had resting against the window. I shuffled over, sitting down next to him. I gathered his left hand in mine, letting my fingers explore his rugged skin. I traced over his boney wrist, circling his carpal bones. At least that's what he said those bones were called. I loved how he would tell me random facts he would find off the internet. I returned to his lanky fingers, locking them with my own, before twirling and twisting at his gold wedding band.

"Don't let it get to you," Link's timid voice croaked, resting his head against my shoulder. His glasses lifted awkwardly when they collided with my body.

"What?" I asked, unaware of what he was referring to.

"That tarot reading. You can change the future. Just because it predicted you and Jessie would spilt, doesn't mean it has to happen," Link mummbled, nudging his head against my shoulder. I finally wrapped my arm around him, which made him stop digging into my side.

"I won't let it get to me, I promise," I said, scooting his light body closer to my own. I gently kissed the top of his head, returning my attention to his hands.

I felt his ribs poke against my stomach, as he took in a deep breath. I didn't want to move, yet I also wanted to go home.

Five more minutes wouldn't kill me.

I relaxed my shoulders, gently resting my cheek against Link's charcoal hair. I gently closed my eyes, overwhelmed by the content feeling of warmth.

I felt safe with him, and he felt safe with me. Together, we're unbreakable.