Sweet Surrender (BK One)

Chapter XX: Introduction

It is rare, but not unheard of, for a werewolf to find a mate in a werecat.

The feline mutation which creates a werecat is rare, even more so than that which creates the werewolf. It occurs in about one in ten-thousand infants born to two werewolves, one in one-thousand to two humans, and one in one-hundred to a werewolf and a werecat. Of course, this mutation is not obvious from the moment of birth. In most cases, the first difference can be noted in the first transformation at fifteen. At this time, most werecats are shunned from their clan.

It is most common for werecats to be female, but one or two cases of male werecats have been reported. The shape and size differ from human form to human form – however, several have been noted to take the form of a cheetah or lion. Coloring also is dependent upon the person, but usually takes variations of the hair color. And while it is advised to keep your distance from a known werecat, most are not hazardous to humans.

When it comes time to mate, the chances of a werewolf and a werecat as mates are about one in one-million. In order for this to occur, the werewolf must bite the werecat to rid them of the feline mutation. Then, they too will be a werewolf. This cannot occur in reverse. If the two do have children, the chances of the child having the werecat mutation are severely increased due to the mother’s once feline mutation.

X-X-X

Forrest Ranch, South Carolina - 1985

X-X-X

“How is she? How is Silvia?” Jackson, frantic for news on his wife, bombards the nurse with questions as she exits the bedroom. “Is the baby OK? Please… tell me.”

The nurse offers him a soft smile, “Your wife and the child are fine, sir. You can head on back and see them, if you’d like.”

Jackson didn’t have to be told twice. He tries in vain to slow the tears, but it seems that his body has another idea in mind. Thick, crystal tears streak their way down his cheeks. It is a release, he knows. When the nurse told him to wait in the den, he couldn’t help but allow his fears to take hold of him. And now, all of that fear and adrenaline decided to come out. Hastily, he rubs at his eyes with the back of his hand and moves with inhuman speed toward the bedroom he shares with his beloved wife.

The instant he enters that little room, he is stunned to silence. Silvia cradles their little one close, who is swaddled in pink cloth. A thin tuft of dark blonde hair sprouts from her little head, and her dark brown eyes are wide and in awe of the new world that surrounds her. When those eyes fall on her father, she lets out a soft coo that sounds like the call of a dove. And Jackson, in that moment, knows that he will do whatever it takes to defend his little family.

He takes a seat at the end of the bed, careful not to sit on Silvia’s feet. “Does… does she have a name?”

“No.” Silvia answers, her voice hushed so as not to startle the infant. “I wanted to know if… maybe… you wanted to name her? Y’know… after your Mama?”

“You would let me do that?” Once more, Jackson finds himself in awe of his wife.

Silvia smoothes the tuft of blonde hair down until it settles, “I know how much she meant to you.”

“Pricilla Ann Forrest… a beautiful name, for an even more beautiful baby!” Jackson tickles one of her little feet, and the newly named Pricilla lets out a whiny chuckle.

Silvia is silent for a moment, before she leans down and kisses her baby’s forehead. “It suits her.”

“Yeah. It does.”