A curious find

The vibration echoed throughout the hard wood below the clocks surface, sounding out into the petite room. The mass underneath the thick ragged blankets began to budge, slowly a long slender pale arm reached out from a gapping hole in the blanket. The grandfather clock continued to chime. The room was silent. The ringing continuing to bounce around in her ears. She swept the blankets away from her body, her blistered and swollen feet were enveloped by a prickling cold, as they placed themselves gingerly upon the hard wood floor. A beam of iridescent light distributed out from a crack in the heavy brocade curtains, its ray illuminating her pink cheeks and hazel eyes. She drifted across the room stopping in front of her wash stand, She entwined her gingers in the ribbon in the back of her nighting gown. It fell at a bundle around her feet. She slid on her underdress, petticoats and finished with her linen corset, wrapped snuggly around her curved waist. Her body dawned a cream taffeta gown with peach silk trimmings, its high neck ready to stifle her.

She exited her home, the satin brown slippers eased into the smooth tendrils of the fine grass, tickling the sides of her feet as she walked across the field. Her head turned, sending fair strands escaping her velvet bonnet, taking in its scenery. The aroma of wild flowers filled her nose. The brick cottage stared gloomily at her, its thick wooden door hanging ajar. The way she had left it.

Her feet continued searching the fields for flourishing finds. The field surrounding her house burst with colour, spring had brought life to the once wilted flora. How curious? She moved toward the rose, bending down she reached out a delicate finger, entwining it's way around the stem of it, tearing it from the earth and placing it into the swinging weaved basket that dangled off the side of her forearm. The large willows surrounding the cottage provided shelter from the harsh bite of the sun, as she ducked underneath the tree and began nestling her fingers amongst the many wildflowers resting inside her basket. How peculiar she thought, as a hand pulled out a red rose doused with sharp edges. Her nose pressed upon the soft petals, a sweet and comforting smell encased her. She relaxed against the tree, her skirts bundling up as her they rested upon the thick grass. Her hazel eyes danced from the thorns to the diamond shaped petals. Complete beauty.

The clattering of hooves upon hard soil caused her head to turn toward the dirt track, that neighboured the tree she were slumped against. The woman rolled up onto her feet, throwing her left hand behind her back, the thorns dug into the soft palm.

A fine gentleman removed himself from upon the dark stallion, the leather saddle catched on his caramel braces. "Adela Edwards, what are you doing out so late in the afternoon?"

"Is it luncheon already, by gosh the time has passed," she said, watching the man amusedly, as he attempted to free his brace from the saddle.

"Would you allow me to assist you?" she asked, dropping her basket to the floor and freeing the man before his thick lips could separate.

The man's feet kissed the leaf strewn soil.

"Thank you Miss Edwards, I have bought you fabric from the market." The man moved to the leather satchel tied to the saddle and pulled out two neat piles of a ruby coloured taffeta and a lilac muslin.

"Oh Peter it is beautiful," she said, her fingers dancing upon the soft material. "Would you like to come in for luncheon?" She asked placing the received fabric into her basket full of flowers, and threading her arm through its handle. Her left hand remained behind her back. He shook his head and moved to his patient stallion. Adela threw out a hand gripping the man's arm, she pulled him toward her. His icicle blue eyes stared into hers. A strand of chocolate hair fell, scraping the bridge of his soft nose. His plump lips moved swiftly upon hers. She closed her eyes, the wind blowing her fair hair out from under her bonnet.