Prologue

England - 1863

My breath broke from me like glass shattering into a million pieces. My heart shook in erratic motions beneath my ribcage. All around me the cries of ravens screeched with violence and candour. My sense of direction had escaped from me as the darkness crawled onto what was once a blue blanket of hope.

There was no escaping them. They were faster, stronger, smarter. They had played this game too many times and I was just another statistic. Another number to add to the long list of souls that they had wreaked havoc onto. I was vulnerable.

But I felt something so strong, like a thousand butterflies drumming against my stomach, stirring my emotions up - messing with me. I felt something, something I shouldn't have felt and I was afraid that if I confronted the emotion, it would only bring me to my inevitable downfall.

Tired and achy my legs began to lose their feeling and were surrendering to the numbness that had begun to surface. It greeted me with a sense of familiarity, I could hear fate itself chuckle with discouragement.

My reality consisted of incomprehensible circumstances, things I knew would never happen yet I still believed in them anyway. I carried hope deep within me, I could feel it flowing through my veins and knew my heart was pumping it vigorously around my body. I dared to dream, to dream of what him and I when we could never be together. I could never be with him. I was an outcast to society and he was the subject to society's core. That's where he lived, swimming in the law and conjuring decisions as to what was right and what was wrong. He was one of three: three that controlled everything and everyone.

And they were coming to get me.

My feet floated above the ground as I plummeted across the creek. My path was lit by the reflection of the moon on the waters surface - it was a magical moment; breathless and shaky running from someone whom I loved. It was remarkable.

The forest opening smirked at me, as though it knew something I didn't.

As I stared into the night sky, the stars had depleted their light and soon after, so did I.