Chapter One

Compensation - Something received in return for something else.

Chapter One

“You look like hell.”

Terri pursed her blood red lips at my face, which was probably mascara streaked and bloodshot from last night. I hadn’t even bothered to brush through my dark curls that had a tendency to frizz on hot California days such as today. The navy dress I wore was Chanel and stunk of liquor and smoke, not that it mattered. I had about ten others in my closest that would compensate for this one.

I spared my friend a response, knowing my throat burned simply swallowing. Wordlessly I walked into her living room and laid my head onto her leather cushioned couch’s armrest, kicking my pumps off with my toes.

Terri laughed at the sight, something she had grown accustomed to. She poked my head and gestured for me to move. I did and she plopped down next to me, and I put my head into her lap.

She ran her manicured fingers through my hair, pulling at the knots. “My, my, someone was naughty last night.”

“Shut up,” I growled, her voice going off like bombs in my head. I didn’t want to think right now, thinking was too much effort. It was a miracle I was even breathing, considering my body throbbed with every inhale and exhale.

“Did Daddy make you attend another party?”

I shut my eyes at the memory. “He seems to be getting more and more popular.” I sighed, cursing his business. “And his clients keep bringing their sons.”

“Oh la la,” Terri giggled, shifting her legs. My head pounded at the movement. “So you’ve been busy, hmm?”

“My hands have been full with Kevin.”

Terri smirked. “I meant with guys over the age of six.”

I rolled my eyes and that seemed to make me want to vomit. I winced. “They’re all going to turn into drunkards. You can tell by the way they consume wine.”

“You’re such a prude, Krystal.” I frowned and ignored her fit of giggles. “When are you going to learn a nineteen year old girl’s life isn’t to be taken seriously?”

I closed my eyes and decided to think about something other than my boring life. Most people would kill for my looks; most people would die just to catch a glimpse at my family’s money, yet here I was, wishing more than anything that everything would disappear. I was the girl who got everything I wanted, but it wasn’t exciting. It was predictable and overused.

            “Do you want to get coffee?” Terri suggested.

            I almost laughed. Coffee with puffy red eyes and soreness in my calves? Sure, it was definitely different.

            “Let’s go,” I stated, sitting up. The walls spun and my head felt like someone was putting a hammer to it. I ignored the pain and turned to Terri.

            Her light brown eyes widened. “Aren’t you going to freshen up?”

            I snorted. “What for? I might as well look how I feel.” Still, I slipped my Prada sunglasses over my eyes anyway. Not because I gave a crap of how I looked, but because the sun would probably burn my eye sockets out if I didn’t.

            Terri shrugged, standing. She was very tall and very thin, with a model’s body. Her skin was chocolate and stood out against the ivory colored dress she wore. “I’ll just take a second.” She went toward the staircase then, her room on the second floor.