Chapter 1: the Introduction

"You new around here?" A voice said next to me.

I turned. "Just passing through."

The cowboy-looking man beside me grinned. I sipped my drink, trying to avoid touching too much of the grimy wooden bar.

"Not too many people pass through these parts."

"I do."

"You got a name?"

"Sure. You can call me..." I thought for a minute. "Veronica."

"That's not your real name is it?" The man said skeptically.

"It's the only one you'll ever get."

I shot back the rest of my whiskey and moved to stand up.

"Hold on a minute," the man said, grabbing my arm. "I was just bein' friendly. You don't gotta leave like that."

I looked down as his large hand squeezing just above my elbow and raised my eyebrows. "Well now I suggest you just let go."

With the last two words I yanked my arm from his grip with ease and turned to leave again. Most of the other people in the bar stared. They sipped their drinks and pretended to talk but I could feel their eyes on my back as I sauntered out of the little small-town dive.

The street was nearly deserted. The only people I could see was a young couple cuddling by a beat up truck in the parking lot. I could just imagine a tumbleweed rolling through here.

I made my way down the street, heading for the sparse woods I'd emerged from just an hour before.

"Hold on there lady."

I glanced over my shoulder to see the cowboy from the bar walking towards me.

"Why should I?" I called, still walking.

I heard his footsteps grow closer and faster until he grabbed my arm again, turning me back to face him.

"I don't know how things are done where you came from, but around here, you're supposed to respect other people."

"Haven't I?" I asked.

"No. See I'm not used to girls walking away from me."

"First time for everything," I replied, amused. "What's this got to do with respect?"

"You're disrespecting me. Givin' me the wrong name and all."

"I don't want trouble," I told him.

"Then don't make any."

He started to pull me closer and immediately I twisted out of his grasp, grabbed his arm, and twisted again until he was on his knees in front of me, arms pinned behind his back. He cried out in pain.

"I always make trouble," I hissed into his ear.

I pushed him hard into the ground and as he lay there, I contemplated killing him. It wouldn't take much effort. I was wearing heavy shoes. All I'd have to do was step hard on his neck where his spine met his skull and press until I heard bones break. I touched my toes against the spot.

"I could kill you," I mused out loud.

"Please," he wheezed. "Please don't."

I picked my foot up, releasing him. "Only 'cause you begged," I said.

I walked away, and when I reached the tree line I looked back to see him still sitting in the dirt, rubbing his shoulder and watching me. I smirked, and not caring if anyone in that white trash town saw me, pulled off my dress and shoes and morphed.