Untitled Part 1

Choo-choo and the sound of steam pressure were the only sound we heard at night. The night air was crisp and I could feel the frost. The sky looked pitch black, just like the days ahead of us.

People like us were everywhere. They had no homes, no money, no food. We had it worse due to our beliefs, due to our religion of Judaism. My parents never told me why these Nazis hated us so much, and I was probably going to stay with the mystery. Most people live in shantytowns, the homes were made of things anyone could find that were useful.

As I looked up at the sky, I could see the clouds collide and form dark grey cotton balls. They continued to collide making it so dark, almost like lining up candles and turning them off one by one until there was nothing but darkness. My brothers, Abel and Abner, were playing outside with a can. With their imagination, they believed that it was nothing but a soccer ball. We started to hear a train come our way, but it was to early for that. Why are they coming this way? When the train stopped, many German soldiers scurried out like cattle. They were trying to get a herd of people to take along with them to a "better place", trying to assure them that there would be no harm. I didn't believe them. Their kindness seemed fraudulent. My parents, Abigail and Adam, were deceived by this bogus information and insisted on going. I knew it was all just an epilogue, but I ran and stuffed what I could.

When I got on the train I tried not to get to separated from my family. They just kept filling the train until the doors could barely close. We were like packed sardines. The sounds of children screaming due to the little space provided. They were like little worms trying to wiggle around for a bit of space. People were gasping for air, while others were not breathing at all. The worst feeling was trying not to look, trying not to feel the cold corpse that may be standing next to you. Mothers would call out to their children, trying to see if they would receive a response or cold silence. As soon as we got to our destination, they would open the door making people fall out and get trampled. There was an orchestra welcoming us at the door. They made us feel like a safe place to be. The sight of this fraud made me feel unsafe, so I quickly ran to find my family.

As I got to them, we overheard some nazi officers saying, "These Jews are easy to deceive. Soon they will get what's coming to them."

In that instant, my parents knew they had fallen into a trap. They told us, "We will distract them, but we need you guys to run!"

As soon as they got the guard's attention my brothers and I ran.

"Halt!," the Germans exclaimed.

"You stupid Jews, we said HALT!," another one declared.

"Mehr ausgeführt oder werden wir schuss sie!," commanded the General.

They realized that their words meant nothing, and pulled out their guns. I could feel my heart pump blood faster than ever before, but I continued to run. I could hear my brother minuscule feet clout the ground with each step.

"Boom!"

The first shot was fired, no one was hurt yet. Suddenly two more came after. By the fourth shot, I could hear someone collapse behind me. It was Abel, he was gone. Abner also came to cessation.

"Hurry, hurry!", I shouted at him. He ran as fast as he could, trying to catch up to me.

"I love you," Abner screamed at me. He collapsed right in front of my eyes as the bullet struck his head. I wanted to stop, but I knew I must continue. I finally reached the forest, I didn't stop until my feet gave up. I ran up to a tree and started to climb. As I was climbing I could hear dogs barking, I could hear them getting closer and closer. To my luck, they didn't get much closer.

The next morning I woke up and I was alone. No one here to hold me, to tell me everything was going to be alright. My mind kept replaying the few last glimpses of my brothers. I could hear Abel's tiny feet come to a stop as the bullet struck. I can see Abner's face as he tried to endure behind me, but all he managed was to say one last, "I love you".

I climbed off of the tree, I could distantly hear water, making me thirstier than I had ever been. As I followed the sound,I came to a big surprise: water. My mouth felt at ease as I poured it down my throat. When I looked down, I saw small droplets of blood. My mind went nuts and began splashing water over and over, trying to get it off of me as soon as possible. I was giving up, I no longer wanted to live. Then I heard dogs, & noticed they were getting closer. I continued to wash myself so that I could rub off the smell of sweat and revulsion.

On my way to an asylum, a strong smell struck my nose. This smell was like no other, almost like a rotten rubber smell. My heart clenched, this smell was similar. Suddenly, it hit me: corpses. The German's were burning corpses. All I could think of was my family. The thought of my family's corpses being burned was annihilating. I could already hear the screams of all the children, choking on the nasty gas. I don't know where I was going but I could feel myself going in circles because I could hear the gruesome laughs of those morose Germans. Their chuckles over the half-witted jokes they would make.

As a year passed, I was still hiding in the forest. My effort to live was vigorous. The Nazis continued to kill as many Jews as they could. They wanted to reach their goal of getting every Jew possible. Within this period, they had managed to kill 6 million Jews. But in the summer of 1945, they had came to stop. Their sick game was over as the Russians and Americans came in to the rescue. Some Germans got what they deserved, while others hid from their solecism.

Few were able to live to tell their story, but I was able to survive to tell mine.