Chapter 1

Niagra's P.O.V

I drag my feet into my bedroom and sit on my bed. My head is pounding as familiar images start to fill my mind and before I even realise it... I'm having a flashback.

I lifted Ethan and Ella with both hands and tucked them under the duvet of the inflatable mattress.

I heard a shout from the living room so I thrusted the door open as I walk into the tight living room. "Niagra!" My-so-called mother shrieked from the other end of the room.

Nervously, I tugged on the hem of my sweater and slowly shuffled over to her.

The veins on my mum's neck were visible and her tightened teeth made her seem more threatening, "We're running low on water..." Her lips barely move.

A hard lump stuck at the back of my throat as my feet shift away from her.

"Go get some water now." My mum muttered sternly.

I glanced outside, literal icicles were sticking onto the exterior surface of the window, "It's s-snowing" I raise my index finger in the direction of the window.

"Get the water now, Niagra!" My mum screeched.

"But--"

Her fingers tightened into a fist as it retracted it over her shoulder. I squeezed my eyes shut as her knuckles collided with my jaw.

The sour taste of blood cuts through my tongue as plummeted to the ground.

"Are you gonna get the water?" She spat gruesomely.

"Y-y-yes ma'am." I stammered, chewing on my lip.

"Good." She dismissed me with a wave of her hand before she went up the stairs.

Once the demon was out of my vision, I jumped to my feet and stumbled to the twin's room.

I picked up Ella and Ethan and silently walked from the twin's room to the living room trying not to make a sound. I quickly hook up the bicycle cart onto the bike set the twin's in it, and covered them up with a blanket to protect them from the coldness of the night. "We gotta run away.." I whispered to them under my breath.

I swung a foot over one side of the bike and cycled through the ankle-height snow, and onto the main road.

For an 8 year old girl, it ached to ride through the thick snow at 1am during winter whilst also bringing along 2 5 month old babies-- and that's only the physical pain. The emotional pain I felt was 10 times greater than the physical pain.

I finally made it to the orphanage, I unloaded the twin's and brought them up the steps of the orphanage. I rang the doorbell.

A tall lady came out, her eyes fixed on us before her confusion dropped, "Oh my god. Where are your parents?" She stepped out of the building and gazed left and right, "Why are you here?"

She led us into the orphanage and slams the front door tightly in an unaggressive way.

"They were a-abusive." My teeth clattered, "P-please take us in and don't look f-f-for our parents." I pleaded in desperation.

She was pretty sceptical about her decision, "Well... Okay..."

That night is still scarred into my memory. It's been 6 years since then and I'm still not over it in any way.

Tears stream down my face as I slip under the covers of my bed.