The Little Artist

Rey walked through the square, pulling her goggles over her eyes, the steam instantly fogging them up.  She weaved through the crowd of dresses and suits, the brass color everywhere. Ever since the war she had to be careful, the steam was from polluted water. 'we wouldn't need the steam is they hadn't banned electricity!'  Rey thought bitterly, she walked among the stalls looking at the cogs and gears. "Rey! There you are! Hope you weren't 'cleaning again." Rey's brother, Kejul, pointed at the dented brass in the middle of the square. "Of course not, Julie."  She smirked, Kejul swatted her arm lightly. "You know I hate that name." He guided her back to the tall brass city in the center of the square. 

They walked into a chorus "Hey kids!" "Mom, Grandma jane, Papa Gruel, and Uncle Joey!" Rey and Kejul chorused back. The family was quite strange, the guys mostly in brass vest with black trousers, with goggles. Joey was a smart man with a simple mustache and beard. Papa Gruel was the town crazy, he was once the minister but he retired a couple years after Rey was born. Mom, Jackaline, was wearing a simple brass dress with black pantaloons, her red hair tied in two victory rolls at the back of her head. Grandma Jane was dressed same as Mom, her white hair tucked under her hat. "Happy Birthday Rey!" Mom hugged Rey, handing her a simple green velvet box. "Open it" Kejul waved slightly.

Rey ran her hand over the smooth box, taking in every detail. She opened it to reveal a brass calligraphy pen, and a black ink well. Rey gasped holding the pen as though it would break.  "Thank You..."She breathed, they all smiled and waved her to her room to draw. Rey looked around the Japanese inspired room, her eyes settled on a dragon sculpture on her desk. She walked over and sat down and dipped the pen in the ink.  The black ink was smooth, slowly outlining the dragon. Finishing the drawing she left it on her desk well she went to working on her trigonometry homework. 

She heard a rustling of paper and spun around. Where she had left the drawing was a blank paper and hovering above it was the dragon she had drawn. "Y-you're alive?" She asked tentatively. "Hardly dear, you drew me hun, didn't you read the directions?" The creature asked, cocking it's head. "What directions?" Rey narrowed her eyes.  "These obviously." He nodded to the paper, ink raising spelling out instructions.

Whoever wields this Pen, is a creator, a creator is the artist of the world. Only a select few have this power and wield it correctly. To use simply draw a living creature and once finished the drawing will come to life and  guard the artist. Until colored only the creator can see the creature. Creatures made cannot kill. Good luck my fellow creator!

Rey sat down and smirked at the curious dragon. She now has a job to do, and mischief to cause.  She sorted out her papers and began to draw a robin. The homework left forgotten.