Chapter 1

"Vanessa, wake up. We're almost there," Natalie's hand thumps my head. "Ness! Stop drooling on my window and wake up!" She thumps my head again. I peel my eyes open and wipe the back of my hand over my mouth.

"Alright, alright. Calm down," I mumble as I sit up, adjusting my seatbelt. "How much further?"

"It's just down the road," my best friend smiles giddily. Natalie was recently accepted into Seattle University, and she is ecstatic. She has been waiting to go here since we were in the first grade. I, on the other hand, have not, so I am much less excited about this than she is. "Isn't this so great? I'm so happy I get to be going here soon!" She happily admits.

I nod and pinch my mouth into a straight line, "Yeah, so great," I grumble and slide down in my seat, resting my head back down.

"Oh don't be like that, Ness. You know you could've gotten into SU no problem-"

"But I don't want to, Nat," I smile at her grumpily. "And you know that, so shut up about it,"

"Sorry," she halfheartedly says. A couple minutes later, we're in the parking lot. Natalie parks the car and we get out. I stretch my limbs and roll my neck, relieved to finally be out of that car.

"Okay, what first?" I rub my hands together and look over at her. She shrugs and pulls something out of her purse.

"Well it says that I should go to the main office to get my tour started, so I guess that first," Natalie says, looking up at me from her paper.

"Alright, so text me when the tour is over?"

"Aren't you coming with?"

"No, I think I'm just gonna hang back. Walk around a bit, you know?"

"Oh, okay," she smiles at me. "So, yeah, I'll text you when it's over," Natalie starts walking backwards, still talking to me.

"Yeah. Have fun, undergrad!" I call to her after she turns around. She waves a hand behind her as she walks away into the main building. 

Turning on my heel to go and find some place to hang out at, I run into somebody. Both the book that I was carrying and my purse tumble out of my hands to the ground, as well as the other person's things. Great. "I am so sorry, I didn't mean to run into you, that was my fault completely," I say to the stranger as my hands fumble with their books and papers. Glancing up, I find my eyes travelling back up to this person's face. His eyes are shaded by a pair of dark Ray Bans, and his hair is ruffled yet styled at the same time. I try to look back down, but I am compelled to keep staring at this beautiful stranger. When he speaks, I become even more enthralled.

"It's cool, just as much my fault as yours," his voice is rough and smooth at the same time, and sends chills down my spine. A part of me wants desperately to hear his voice again, but after realizing my hands are frozen, I snap myself back to reality. I hurriedly grab my purse and stand up, with this guy standing up right after me. He smiles at me, flashing a mouthful of pearly whites. I shyly smile at him, and then turn, flushed, to walk away. "Wait," he says coolly, his hand touching my shoulder gently. My skin heats up where he has his hand.

I turn to face him and he strecthes out his hand. My eyes peek down to see that he has my book in his hand. "You almost forgot this," he grins at me. I take my book from him and bite my lip.

"Oh, uh, thanks," I smile.

"No problem," There's a pause, and I consider turning and running for Natalie, but he breaks the silence, "I'm Niall. What's your name?"

"Uh, I'm Vanessa."

"It's nice to meet you Vanessa. Are you going here?" He asks, leaning against a lamp post.

"No, I'm here with my friend. She's taking a tour of the campus," I say, my voice still somewhat quiet.

"That's a shame. I was wishing we might have a chance of having some classes together," My cheeks flush and I look down. "Where you headed?"

"Um...I don't know. I guess just to the library or a coffee shop or something..." I trail off.

"Are you meeting up with anybody?" He lifts up his sunglasses, revealing crystal blue eyes looking at me playfully. Is he seriously flirting with me?

"Excuse me?" I try to cover up the stunned tone of my voice.

"It's just, I know a really great coffee shop not far from here, and I would love to show you it," he smirks. I chew my bottom lip nervously, trying to decide whether to take his flirty bait or not. "Come on, I'll buy you a coffee," he says as he turns and starts walking. My brain and my heart battle over what to do, but my feet take over, sending me in the footsteps of this flirtatious guy.