How to survive High School surrounded by morons

BASED ON A TRUE STORY WITH SLIGHT EXAGGERATIONS. Any resemblance to persons living or dead, no matter how exaggerated, is entirely coincidental.

Natalia's POV

"So what do you think of Daramarlen?" my peer mentor asked me. I smiled and told her I loved it, then said goodbye to her as she went home to enjoy the last few hours of her school holidays. I wandered down to the canteen to find my friends.

Erin and Colette were sitting on a wall in the middle of an airy courtyard, eating ice creams. They waved madly when they saw me, and thumped the spot on the wall indicating I should sit there. Before I'd even sat down on the cold wall, they started talking about how nice their peer mentors were and how they couldn't wait for their first form class. I must admit, I had to agree with them- I couldn't help being excited. "What house are you guys in?" I asked. "Blur! Dark blue." Colette added when she saw our confused looks. "Aquinas, which is green." Erin told us. Their curious eyes turned to me and I said, "Harvard." "Colour?" Colette quizzed. "Yellow." I replied. "Oh." Erin said in the long drawn out 'oh' that people most often use before saying "I knew that."

Licking the last of the ice cream off the sticks, we made our way up to the gym to be sorted into our form classes. A smiling, bouncy woman with shoulder-length blonde hair smiled as she scrawled my name onto a small box. My lock proved to not open unless someone was watching, but my peer mentor said I was just having trouble with it seeing as it was my first time using the Daramarlen locks. I didn't believe her, even though she had been at the school for much longer than I had.

As I meandered along to SCIENCE-2, I became lost in thought. What will my teacher be like? I wondered. Will she be as nice as she looks? My thoughts were interrupted as a crowd of boys who were immediately classified as Type Z (the worst type) morons in my book walked past, talking at the tops of their voices about something boys talk about. (Don't ask me what- I don't pay attention in that area of learning.)

Our teacher opened the door of the classroom and said, in a quick voice, "Line up!" A minor football scrum ensued as everyone pushed to be in line. I wandered around to the back of the line to avoid personal injury and maybe even premature death.

***************************************************************************************************************

Alyssa's POV

"Raine,"

"Mark,"

"Sophia"

As the teacher droned on with the names I zoned out, focussing entirely on what the small fly trying to escape the stuffy classroom was doing.

"Alyssa."

Oops. "Here" I said giggling as though I wasn't just focussing on the fly. My friends (a lot of people) gave me suspicious looks but said nothing. The teacher (who turned out to be called Mrs Jewell) decided to put us into groups and do some getting-to-know-you games.

"So what are we meant to be doing exactly?" one of the dumb boys who sat in my group picking his nose asked. Yuck, I thought, can't he do that somewhere else-not in front of me? A boy in my group smiled at me and I felt my cheeks grow hot. I smoothed down my hair (even though I knew it was perfect) and watched him intently as he said, in a silky smooth voice like melted chocolate, "Well Alyssa? What do you think we should be doing?" I looked at him coyly under my eyelashes. His perfect features flushed red and I said, "Well... maybe we should ask them..." I trailed off and looked towards the other two girls in our group, who were doing absolutely nothing to benefit us except for broadening our literary knowledge by discussing a book they'd both read and how they disagreed about the sequel. Yawn, I thought, they don't know what they're missing out on, and I turned to look over the hot guy (whose name turned out to be Christian) in our group.