Shattered

The cool scent of nighttime drifted in through the window, blowing lazily through my hair. I filled my lungs with the intoxicating aroma, reveling in the carefree feeling that was overwhelming me.

 Absolutely nothing could bring me down from Cloud Nine right now, except, of course, a soft knock on my door.  I sighed and glanced at the big glowing numbers on my alarm clock.

It was nearly midnight, who could possibly be at my door?

Carefully I unwrapped myself from my sheets and tiptoed to the door.

I pushed my heart rate down as I opened the door a crack.

“Patch?” He was leaned up against the doorjamb in loose grey sweatpants and a black V-Neck Tee. My eyes caught at a small strip of skin exposed just above his waistline. He straightened and I snapped back into reality to meet his gaze.

I opened the door the rest of the way. “What are you doing here?” His slate black eyes held several emotions, none of which were humorous or joyful. Where was that crude sense of humor that always shined in those eyes?

“Angel, something happened. Can I come in?” I nodded and stepped aside. What could have happened that could not have been told to me in my dreams? I swallowed

Something happened. The same words I had heard from the doctor when she told me my father was gone.  Those words had ever since chilled my spine and tied a knot in my stomach. I shook the thoughts from my mind.

 He sat on the edge of my bed and pat the spot next to him, sending ripples through the thin, airy blanket sheet.  I was closer to those deep black eyes now, and I could tell this news would shatter my world. The cracked, broken world that was only held together by the glue that was Patch.

 I made a direct effort to slow my breathing. “It’s about your mother,” His voice was soft, compassionate, and careful. He was choosing his words with intricate care, like he was placing the last piece on the top of a card castle.  

The knot grew tighter, my breath caught.

No.                                                                                                                                     

Not again.

“She was murdered.”

There it was, the news I had been dreading the most. The words hung in the air heavily.

 My mother was gone.  The last of my family, gone.

“Patch, she can’t be. No, please tell me it’s not true. Please tell me it’s a mistake.”

With a thick pang of grief flashing through his eyes, he shook his head, and I couldn’t help the tears that escaped my eyes. 

They flowed so suddenly and freely, I didn’t try and stop them.

Patch wrapped his arms around me, holding me in a tight embrace. “Shh, it’s going to be okay, Angel.” He whispered soothingly.

Violent sobs shook my body, making it harder to breath. He held me, murmuring soothing words. I clung to him as the broken shards fell around me.

 My world was shattered, that was sure.