Past

The sun was glowing on my skin and I smiled at my Mother who was gazing contently out the window at me. She was very beautiful, clear olive skin, long hair neatly hairspayed into place and loving warm brown eyes. My Father was at work and would be back at 6 and we would sit down and eat the dinner Mother lovingly cooked for us, as a family. Mother ushered me in when the sky started darkening, I had been playing outisde on the lawn.

"Could you set the table for me hun?" smiled my Mother busily washing dishes. "Okay Ma," I replied rummaging through the draws for the cutlery and napkins. I set the three places on the table, Mother, Father and I. Perfect just the three of us. I helped Mother bring the dishes of pasta and salad to the table. Mother poured herself a glass of wine and sat at her place staring at the door hopefully, while I kept an eye on the clock near the front door.

Headlights flooded the dimly lit living room and our heads turned to the front door, a key was jiggling in the door, Mother stood up and quickly brushed a honey golden lock out of her eyes, and straightened her dress. I stood up getting ready to welcome Father. Everything had to be perfect, my eyes dusted the room looking for anything out of place or mis matched. It was exactly how it was supposed to be - perfect.

The door burst open and Father stormed in, a look of utter disgust strewn over his scarlet face. His tie was undone, his hair tousled and veins bursting from his forhead. He flung his coat and breifcase to the ground and he glared at us and paced the room. I shuddred as he pushed over the vase of violets on the kitchen table and Mother glanced at me silently begging me to leave. But I stood there and witnessed my Father destroy the kitchen and dining room, including the expensive china cabinet that went down in sharp shatters.

After our house was in peices, he moved onto Mother the whole time shouting "It's your fault, its not my fault, I never did this!" He brought his bleeding fist down on my Mothers chest, she plummeted to the ground, he leant over her. I cringed as he booted her stomach, seven maybe eight times until she coughed up blood. She shot me a petrified look, her hair was in shambles, her ivory teeth drenched crimson blood, her mascara running, her dress ripped and blood stained as she lay weakly under the power of my Father. It wasn't a SOS look it was a you need to leave look.

I quietly left, not the house but to the kitchen. My hands were trembling as I rummaged through the kitchen draw. I exhaled calmly as I felt the cool, smooth blade and pulled it from the draw. My mind was clear and I felt at ease. Hiding the power I had behind me, I ignored my Mother screaming "NO," and thrashing around under my Father, who was absorbed in beating and destroying our perfect family. He had no right to do that, now I had to take care of our perfect family and restore it to its former perfection.

Without a second thought, I plunged the glistening blade into my Fathers back, without a cough or cry he dropped with a thud. I stood glaring at the now dead monstrosity that destroyed what I loved the most.