●Thirty-Three: Pervasive Excavation●

I'm so sorry I forgot to thank you all for the 5k+ and 1k votes even though it's not even a month yet! Most of the times, I'm an airhead so I don't check my stuff after I publish a chapter 😳😳
😳

Still, I'm honestly really grateful to you all who still continue to read this shit hahah

☆☆☆☆

Mariko handed you some of the files as you accepted them.

"Tadamori Jin. Sixty-three years old. Head of the Tadamori Loaning Company that has been operating for decades since the early 60's which has been passed down for generations. It started out as a small business with people borrowing and returning at a fair rate but his ancestors seemed to have proven to be excellent with their line of work and ever since then, it evolved into large organization as many people started investing one after another. Business was indeed going smoothly until a week ago, he noticed that nearly half of the company's funds has been depleting."

"Yes, I know. I've read over these already. The only one most likely to have been responsible for it is his right-hand man, Arakawa Hiroki. The one whom he trusted all the money to for years, but as we can see, we lack physical evidence. Judging from all the research we did, his records, personal accounts, and bills--they are clear from any forms of suspicions. Nothing unusual." You narrowed your eyes at the sheets, in deep thought, "We will be going to Saitama the day after tomorrow to look into it more before court. Is this all we have?"

"Yeah...I just realized. This kind of case is more tedious than I had thought. The money stolen was directly from the company's safe. Shouldn't the police be helping?" Mariko whined, puffing her cheeks.

You replied, tapping your fingers, "There was no sign of breaking in and the safe is apparently in mint condition so pretty much everything is handled legally. The only ones who have access to it is Arakawa and Tadamori himself."

"(Y/N)...what if this guy didn't do it? The trial is in a few days. I don't think we'll able to find another lead sus--"

You slammed your palm against the papers that levitated due to the force,

"Are you saying we can't win this case?"

She flinched in her seat.

"No, I just think that we might not be able to gather all the information we need against the defendant in time. This is a pretty big case, even for you who hasn't lost a single one. There's a possibility that we may not be able to win." You chuckled, earning a puzzled look from the younger female.

"I get it, but I can assure you. Just leave it to me. We owe Fujinami-san a lot and this, for me, is a case I definitely can't lose. This isn't the first time I've dealt with embezzlements, you know."

Mariko looked down on the floor, "Yeah, because the ones before were taken from other people's bank accounts."

"Mariko..." You trailed off with a forced smile, "I like you a lot, really. You've been with me in this firm for quite a long time, but by now, you should know how I am. This company, which that man fully invested his time into improving the legacy of his family, doesn't deserve to perish. Not if I can help it. If you're not satisfied with a case like this,"

Her breath hitched in refutation as you finished your words,

"...then you can drop it. I'll be happy to do it alone."