Untitled

I blinked my eyes open as light shined vigorously through the cracks in my blinds. I closed my eyes for a few moments more. As I opened them I turned lazily to the silent alarm clock resting next to me on my bedside table. 7:04. I've overslept - again. It was the same routine anymore; stay up all night working on essays and assignments, only to have to wake up to go and receive more essays and assignments. I was rarely late to school, but even more rare was I ever early.

I got up and scrambled together an outfit that basically screamed "I overslept and only had five minutes to get ready for something I didn't even want to do." I opened my door gently, in attempt to not disturb my parents. Not like I should care, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they forgot they had a daughter; they're either asleep or working their lives away with no real goal in life anymore. I remained cautious through the dark hallway, my cell phone as a dim flashlight. I walked past the kitchen. Who really has time for breakfast anymore?

I walked out the door and headed for my piece of junk for a car. It was at that exact moment that I opened the front door that I realized that, unlike most, today was a rare day. A down pour began from the dark, almost black, clouds above. I signed deeply as any trace of hope for a 'good day' diminished.

I darted for my car, shielding my head with my bag of books. I crashed everything into the passenger's seat, hardly caring. I turned the key and drove off; hoping so greatly that I wouldn't have anymore rare occurrences.

As I walked towards the school doors, the rain had finally cleared up. Wouldn't you know that would be the way of things; as soon as I have no need to be outside the storm vanishes just as randomly as it appeared. I signed in with hardly legible handwriting as I juggled a mass of books with my other arm. I walked down the silent hallway, the cold metal lockers hugging against the still walls. I glanced down at the books I had in my arms, hoping I wouldn't have to spend another five minutes exchanging items with my locker. Thank God, I had everything. In all honestly, I don't think me missing the first half of first period algebra would kill anyone, but it seemed as if crazier things could happen.

I made my way to the closed door ahead of me. Algebra, although fairly easy I my opinion, was boring to an extreme. I knocked gently on the entrance, somewhat nervous. I'm hardly late like this basically ever. Something about making a scene just seemed to get to me. Although, when the door opened, I didn't catch a single glance directed to me - if there would even be one. I sat at the desk I always sat at - the one in the back, away from everyone else. As I organized my processions, the teacher continued to teach as the students continued to pretend their interest in the monotonous subject of algebra. I could feel myself slowing beginning to nod off. I've fallen asleep in class maybe five or six times that I can remember. Usually, I can keep myself awake; but this day proved to be quite unusual. My eyes began to shut entirely against my will. It happened all at once. One minute of light, and another of complete, unknown darkness. Not a single minute had I been noticed, I didn't have to be awake to know that much.

I woke up, still in a bit of a daze. My eyes quickly swept the room. Everyone was gone. Not a single body still existed in the classroom. My blood ran cold as my stomach sank with worry and fear. I looked out of the window near me. Nothing - at all. At this point, it seemed like there was a good chance that this was just a lucid dream; those dreams you have every once in a while that you actually have power in. Like, while you're dreaming you suddenly, while still asleep, realize that you're dreaming. So, you do something crazy or whatever and it feels like an actual reality. Reason being why I was convinced that I was having such an experience. I closed my eyes for a few moments - thinking. I'll just tell myself to wake up, and I should wake up, right? My thoughts were falsely assumed. There was no waking up. This wasn't a dream.

I trailed down the now even emptier hallway, the only sound came from vents and my own thoughts. I looked in every classroom. No one. I half-hoped that there was just a fire drill and everyone left me. I didn't want to be alone, but at the same time, I did. I didn't want to be alone in the sense of having no one; but I did in the sense of not needing anyone. I began to feel like that little child in the supermarket that strayed away from their mother for a split second, wandering through a maze as fear begins to take over the mind. The world has now become the supermarket, and I'm the child. But, I don't think I'll be finding my mother, anyone, anytime soon - if ever. A flood of questions filled my thoughts. "What, why, how..."

What was happening.

Why was it happening.

How was it happening.

I had questions, but no one to answer them. My whole life has been questions without answers. Without anyone to answer them.

I walked downward beside the lifeless lockers, searching for mine. I managed to recall my combination, despite my mind in its current state of absolute chaos. I grabbed my five subject notebook, a few pencils, and stuffed them in the bag that draped over my shoulder. If this was really happening, why not record it? Anne Frank kept a diary in a time of disaster, and as far as I know, this is more disastrous than the holocaust. I mean, it's not like there's anyone to discuss it with.

I walked out of the doors I came in only minutes ago, or so it seemed. I looked up at the distant sky above. Clear, blue, and beautiful. Not a single sign that anything happened. It was as if the world froze - maybe even the universe - and took everyone else, leaving me to deal with my problems alone. I had no one to begin with, but mostly because I didn't try to have anyone.

That would be my first goal on my new list for life.

Find someone. Anyone.

I swept my eyes across the parking lot for my car. As surprising as it sounds, I actually can't remember where I park. It's a different spot everyday, based on whether or not I got out of the house on time. I found the sorry excuse of a car in the middle of the parking lot, completely alone. It was almost as if people thought its ugly was contagious.

I opened the door and got it. As if this day - assuming it was really happening - couldn't get any worse, it did. I couldn't get it to start.

I tried again and again to no avail. Finally, I decided to cease my efforts and give up. I gathered all that I found useful and stuffed it in my bag, in turn I emptied it off what I had no use for. I headed towards the streets of my town, from where I stood they seem desolate. I had no expectations for what I might find, to be honest. Everything seemed pointless, but a desire is what's keeping me interested in what there may be to come. I really don't know what that desire was drawing me into, though. It felt, this desire, like a mix of hope and fear. Hope for what I wanted, fear for what I didn't. I wanted everything to be back to how it was, or at least explained. Even though my life didn't seem to value up to much, it became even more pointless now.