Henrietta's Story.

A/N:

First story uploaded. To set the scene for you guys, time wise, its like 1940's to 1950's, maybe. This was like 5-6 pages on word so it is a short story. There's no chapters after this.

I wrote this for a assignment for english on the book Tomorrow When The War Began, good book by the way!

I would appericate it if you comment and tell me what you think, like giving me constructive critcism.

Enjoy! Thanks!

—————————————————————————————————————————————

Gun shots fired off and people's screams for help carry through the air and into my hearing range. I lean back into Mother, scared.

"Shhh, it's ok, Henrietta." Mother soothed. Mother started stroking my hair to calm me down and it did work. I stopped sobbing and whimpering in my Mother's side. I liked it when Mother did that, it really did calm me down.

We were sitting behind a big oak tree, trying to hide from what's happening in front of the tree. We were doing our best to keep safe seeming as its only Mother and I left. My Father got killed trying to protect us from the soldiers. We were planning to get away from them but they got my Father first. His last words to us were run and we did as what we were told. Those were the last words I ever got to hear out of my Father's mouth and the last time I ever got to see him again.

Mother was holding up ok, she was trying to be strong for me and trying not to show how scared she was but I could see through it.  We were all scared. We didn't now what had started this war or if it was ever going to be over.

I wanted to look what was going on but at the same time I was afraid to because it wasn't really a good sight to see. It will be sacred on my heart forever.

All was quiet for a second until I heard the crunch of rocks being stood on by a man's boots. I looked up at Mother; she put her finger to her lips to silence me. I started to shake. What was going to happen? Had someone found us? I thought to myself.

A soldier came around the back of the big oak tree where Mother and I were hiding. He had his gun out and pointed at us. Tears started coming down my cheeks. The soldier walked forward to us and then he picked me up by the arm roughly and flung me to the ground away from Mother. He then turned away from me and faced Mother and picked her up by the arm till she was standing. Mother was whimpering and crying so hard, she had a look on her face as if she knew what was going to happen to her, she was going to get shot by the soldier, I realised. I gasped in horror. I started to cry even more.

"Run now!" Mother was mouthing at me while the soldier was fumbling around with his gun.

I looked at her with pleading eyes, not knowing what to do. If I wanted to save my life, I would start to run but I was going to lose my Mother in any second and I just lost my Father yesterday.

"Go!" Mother mouthed at me. I knew I had to go now so as I started to turn away I took one last look at Mother, she was crying but her eyes told me everything I needed to know to keep me going. It was love for me that filled her eyes.

"Love you." She mouthed at me and then the soldier shot her straight in the temple. Mother fell to ground. My mouth opened in horror. I stood still for a second. The soldier was standing over Mother with a remorseful look on his face as if he was sorry for what he had just done to her. I looked away and started running for my life.

I was running away from my home, from all the memories I had here, from all the friends and family I had and most importantly I was running from my Mother and Father's souls. I was crying as I ran. I didn't know where I was going. It felt like I have been running for hours but it had only been for a few minutes.