Prologue

Sometimes I see myself unable to fathom the will of humans in this world. They constantly seek attention and approval from those around them. They seek out the things that they believe will help them accomplish their deepest darkest desires. Something inside of them causes a spark, an ignition, a passion to reach the once thought to be out of reach. The world's greatest wonders, unimaginable inventions and outstanding ideas.... Where do they all come from? The answer is quite simple: emotions. A conscious mental reaction subjectively experienced as a strong feeling usually directed at something. What if there were no emotions? What if humans never experience the feelings of love or hate or even compassion? What if they just went through their daily lives, and endless cycle without a care in the world? Their ideas would not have been their own.... All the myths and legends were all true, all real beings who coincided with them on Earth. Would these emotionless humans be doomed to a fate worse than death.... Being a husk? What if I told you that there consisted a Celestial hierarchy? A hierarchy that controlled human beings without any error. The infamous Adam and Eve never disobeyed their God. Humans remain perfect and obedient, but lacked the drive to become something greater....

      At the bottom of the hierarchy lie humans, a boring species who can barely do things on their own.... Well not all of them. On special circumstances, the Council of gods created a way for humans to be something more. They provided a strange miracle that allowed only for the strongest humans to unlock a special piece of them known as emotions. This strange Miracle came in the form of Pandora's Box. Every year, when a child is a 5 years of age, they would be sent to Pandora's Box to be tested for capabilities. If the child failed, they were to return back to the parents. However, if they were to succeed, they were able to train and rise up the hierarchy to become Squires.

     My name is Natalia Rose. I am 14 and a half years old. I have silverish white eyes, black hair with dark purple highlights, so many freckles that I have already lost count and I'm a bit different. First off, I am 5' 9" tall, bigger than the average female at my age. Second, unlike most children, I need to wear spectacles in order to see. This dependancy is rare in our society, most to almost all of us are born with perfect senses and bodies. However, I seemed to have defected in more than one way.

       All my life I have been different. In my assigned family unit, I was known as the black sheep. I never listened to protocol.....I was too loud.......I was not obedient.....I was a bad omen. When I became three years of age, I destroyed our living quarters. My family unit had left me home alone to get the month's food rations and supplies. Before they had left, I was ordered to stay in my crib and study my English language manual. I started to get into the first chapter and started to nod off from the dull material written and eventually fell asleep. When I awoke my family unit had returned, but around me everything was in ruin. I found out later on that I had mangled, torn and burned everything that was in my sight sight while I was in my deep slumber. This was the first time something like this had happened in our facility, so I was marked as a danger. As a result, I had to be sedated before I slept and kept in a closed steel crib. My family unit's reputation was made a mockery of by our superiors.....makes sense why they did not hesitate to ship me off the day before I would turn five years of age to Pandora's Box. There I learned that I was different from the other human children, I could feel and think things that no one else could. The instructors called me intuitive. The guards called me a pain in their rear ends. The warden called me "Hope". When I finally journeyed through all the gruesome tests in Pandora's Box nine years ago, I rose to the rank of Squire. This is where my story begins....