The Misconception of Death

Light danced around the curve of tiffanys fingertips, flowing smoothly in between her knuckles and out, only to form a small circle of bright heat at the center of her palm. The small creature in her other hand, a mocking bird, lay soundlessly, its head resting heavily against her thumb. Its wings were tucked and its legs were bent in a particularly comfortable angle and its feathered tail hung just slightly over the edge of Tiffanys hold. Her eyes glanced from one hand to the other, and she began to mesh the two.

With her right hand she held the bird in a gentle grip. Slowly she passed her left hand over the animal, touching the crown of its head with the intensity of the light radiating from her palm. Tiffany watched as life reentered the mocking bird and its fragile body began to stir. Its head rose,  black eyes darting around in a jerky, surprised movement.

Tiffany let go of the bird and it jumped from her palm and onto her outstretched finger. It released a soft chirp from its tiny throat and walked strategically to the curve of her finger. Tiffany smiled down at the bird, simply glad that she was able to revive such a symbolic bird. Where she came from, the mocking bird represented the balance of someones spiritual energy, and spiritual energy meant the balance of love, life, happiness, and faith.

Abruptly the bird gave an alarmed screech, hoping violently along tiffany's finger before taking off. The birds small talons broke through the skin of tiffanys fingertip as it had launched itself. She gave a subtle frown at the newfound flesh wound and silently wondered what caused the animal to be so startled.

Around her, a shadow arose, engulfing her figure as it blocked the sun. blinking, she peered up at the presence which had quietly arrived next to her. A wry smile (not much like the way she had analyzed the bird) appeared across tiffanys pink lips, “Jessica.”

Despite being polar opposites, Tiffany was quite fond of Jessica, and often found herself confiding in her. Jessica however, usually kept to herself. In all the years tiffany had known her, she still didn't know much about her. Any question asked went unanswered, and any trace of emotion was simply wiped away upon approach.

But tiffany knew Jessica wasn't heartless.

She had seen it. She had seen Jessica smile. And anyone without a heart, would be perpetually unable to feel happiness, and all know, that when one is happy, they smile.

Tiffany smiled in the moment just remembering what exactly jessica had been smiling at. It wasn't a long smile, but more of a brief wave of warmth, as the clock master had passed in front of her. He had gone so quickly, but tiffany had noticed the slight smile he had given her. You see, the clock master was one of many mysteries, his job is one of the more resentful, and seems to have no real reason. He is the man that stops a human heart from beating, that absorbs the living entity of living beings to feed the world we all stand on, even though that kind of work became unnecessary decades ago.

Nonetheless, Jessica had been caught smiling at the Clock Master, Donghae, and it had been a wonderful thing to witness. Though... at the same time.. it began to bother Tiffany. She simply couldn't understand why such a nice thing was hidden from others.

Tiffany blinked up at Jessica, pulling her mind from the small memory, “Sit.”

Jessica moved to seat herself in the bench next to tiffany, the only sound being that of her own dress shuffling through the grass. Jessica looked ahead of her, her eyes slowly studying the movement in the trees that currently surrounded them. She could sense the fear that came from the branches and bushes of each and every living creature here.

You see, while donghae is set with the task of deciding whose entity to take, its jessica that has to do the reaping. She was the last person any living being saw before they were faces with a numb death. Naturally they look upon her with distaste and resent. You see, it wasn't reaping at all. It was dismissal. It was guidance towards a less confusing end.

Sighing, tiffany looked over at jessica, the woman whose eyes were still on the trees, “Jess?”

Jessica tore her eyes from the wilderness, a question in the depths of her eyes. She raised her eyebrows, a motion for Tiffany to continue.

“Jessica... Why do people like me... but.. hate you?”

Jessica blinked, her emotions being taken back by such a bold question. She stared silently at the girl next to her, pondering a proper response to such a question.  In that moment, Jessica was able to observe Tiffanys nervousness, not the kind that everyone else received from her presents, but a different kind... like that of someone who asks a question they weren't sure they even wanted answered in the first place. She could see that very sense in Tiffanys dark eyes.

Jessica smiled. Such a smile of pain and envy. Such a smile expected of death.... and she responded, “ Because their aspect is damaged and deranged with the thoughts of plague and homicide. Many blame me for the actions of others, simply because its easy. Many watch for me at night, afraid that I may end them, because we have them fooled.  I pry the loved ones from others and tear families apart. The life of Death is a lonely one to lead, and oh how ironic it is to do such a deed, when I have no loved ones for my own.That, is what they acknowledge when they see me. Do you know why that is?”

Tiffany frowned, “No, Why?"

“Because you are the beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth.”