one

[unedited]

A string of colorful curses were thrown angrily at me as I walked hurriedly on the curb to my apartment without noticing the people I stumbled into. My mind kept reeling on the conversation I had earlier at the diner with my boss.

"Veigh, you need to come home as soon as you can." He told me with an unusual edge to his tone. A bead of sweat broke on his wrinkled forehead. His eyes laced with panic.

"What is it, Ed?" I asked him worriedly. "Is something wrong?"

"Yes everything's wrong. I need you to pack your things and go home. Book a ticket as soon as you can and fly away from here." He held my hand and shook it. "Please, you need to go somewhere safe."

I scrunched up my eyebrows at him in puzzlement, what did he mean by that? "What's wrong Ed? I'm safe here, with you. Why do you need me to go?" I was so confused.

"Just trust me this time Veigh. You need to go. Please," His tone turned desperate now.

"But--

He sighed in defeat. "There are bad people coming to get you Veigh. It has something to do with your father's debt. You need to--

"Wait a second," I cut him, bewildered. "My father's debt?" My eyes widened a fraction, not believing his words. "My father doesn't have any debts. And he's dead. Even if he does have a debt, I would know." Who does he think he is? My father didn't do debts. He was not that kind of guy.

"Veigh Silverstone you listen to me right now," He held my forearm in a tight grip. "I've known your father since birth. He might lied to his family about the debt but he won't ever lie to me. He didn't tell his family because he doesn't want you to be disappointed by him when his business nearly crashed. He made a loan to one of the bad family that stays here in New York. They're mafias, Veigh. Very bad people. You need to go now." He shook my shoulders, eyes desperate. He shoved me out of the diner with a worried look etched on his aging face. I snatched my things on the counter messily as he pushed me out of the diner.

Truthfully, I still couldn't comprehend the things he said to me. It didn't make sense. I didn't want to believe him. I couldn't believe him. But I fastened my walk anyways to reach my apartment sooner than I expected. My breath came out in a gasp, panting heavily outside of my door.

Book a ticket as soon as you can and fly away from here.

I didn't have any other choice than to believe him. He was like a second father to me, taking care of me when my father busied himself with work. He won't lie to me. But how could he? How could my father lied about something as big as this to me? Why would he borrowed that much money from a mafia? That was ridiculous. I remembered Ed told me the amount of money my father borrowed.

"Maybe I can pay it back, Ed. I don't need to runaway. I'll find a way to pay it back." I said, trying to give myself another choice so I won't have to leave New York. He shook his head firmly, his tone filled with a finality I couldn't decipher. "No you can't. You have no choice other than to run away."

Then the question I dreaded the most flashed in my head. I looked away from Ed. "How much?" My voice cracked. He sighed, closing his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. "I guess you need to know the truth then,"

"Nine hundred and fifty seven thousand dollars."

At first I was aghast. But then again, did I really know my father that much? Why my father need that much fucking money for? That was a lot of money. Even for a small business.