The Dark Castle

Thick snowflakes fall from the sky as Robin rides to the castle. A chilly breeze brushes his light hair. His breath is visible, mingling with the cold afternoon air. He presses his shanks against Arrow's stomach, impelling the horse through the storm. His eyes narrow. An attempt to get a better view.

The low temperature cuts deep into his skin, makes his body shake and causes an uncomfortable feeling inside his belly. Gladly, the palace is not far away anymore, so that he does not have to worry about getting lost in the white of the landscape or arriving as an ice block.

A royal guard greets him, holding the reins, when he gets off Arrow's back.

"The valet is awaiting you" he tells him. His voice is deadpan yet respectful.

"Thank you" Robin replies, while the other man brings the horse into the warmth of the stables. Clopping resounds through the courtyard. "Where do I find him?"

"Let me show you" the guard answers, after coming back to him.

The castle is huge. Very impressive. The walls are built of massive stone, so is the ground. They protect the residents of the cold north wind and other changes of weather.

Paintings hang on the walls of the corridor, they are currently walking through. Paintings of Prince Henry, who has searched for Robin in the tavern he works at, and paintings of his daughter. But there are also pictures of a woman, bearing a resemblance with the Evil Queen. Her hair is lighter and also her eyes look more like whiskey than chocolate. Nonetheless, both of them radiate the same unapproachable beauty.

Maybe it's her mother. Or her aunt, the thief combines. He clenches his teeth. Being in her palace makes him feel more uncomfortable as he thought at once.

"Robin. It's good to see you again" Henry welcomes him with a calm smile and reaches out his hand for his. He winces, when he notices how cold Robin's is.

"The pleasure is all mine" he answers. As much as he hates his daughter, he likes the valet.

"Thank you for bringing him to me, Edward" the older one tells his guard. He nods and leaves them alone.

"So, you said you wanted to discuss something with me?" Robin asks.

"Indeed. But before we start, can I offer you something to warm up? Tea? Hot chocolate?"

"Thank you, I'm fine."

"Well, then..." he points at one of the chairs standing around a table. "Take a seat, please."

He nods and sits down on the wooden piece of furniture. Henry ensconces himself towards him.

"I think, you know my daughter, right?"

Robin leans back and faces the man in front of him. Skeptically, he raises his eyebrows and nods once again. "It's impossible to not be aware of who she is."

A certain sadness flares up in the father's brown eyes. A sorrowful smile plays around the corners of his mouth. "It's not too late for her to change. She's still good."

"I don't mean to offend you" Robin replies. "But she has done so many cruel things. She murdered thousands of people, killed whole villages to find Snow White. I doubt that she'll ever change for good."

"You may think you know her, but I know her better. She wasn't always like that. Once, she was an innocent girl. A stubborn yet wonderful person who cared for those around her. With all my heart I wish that this woman is able to come back someday."

Robin snorts. He wants to give audience to his words and he understands his despair, but this woman has done so many bad things. Never has she shown mercy.