Once Upon A Dream: Prologue

Prologue

My parents have always gotten along okay. You always hear horror stories about divorces, or addicts, or horrible, earsplitting fights. Of course my parents fight-everyone does- but they've never had a huge problem with each other, or a major blowout fight.

But sometimes they're just too… perfect. I mean, I get good grades, I guess I'm pretty, but I feel like there's too much of an expectation. I have to live up to them, or I'm not really accepted as their true daughter.

So I can't ever really stay at home much. All my mom does is work, and my dad does the same. All they ever talk about is either work, or my "school/career track." Yeah, you heard me right. I'll got to Harvard (where they both went), major in Business-Law and become a successful student, adult, yada yada yada.

But the thing is, I'm not that person! I want to be successful, I want to make my parents happy, and I want to make them proud, but I don't want to be that. I want to make MY dreams come true. Whatever they are…

Anyway, since you're probably wondering, I live on Coronado Island, a small island off of California. It's small, but not completely unheard of. I moved here when I was six. My mom and dad had traveled here before, and fell in love with it. They said it's great for "their work." I don't know how an island can be good for writing/business/lawyering (is that a word) at home. Whatever. I have a little baby brother. I would have another, but there was a miscarriage. It pretty much tore up my parents. But now, I take care of him, since my mom and dad are so busy with their book.

But I really don't mind. I love Adam, and he's my best friend, my savior, my lifeline. He connects me to my sanity. Whenever I'm unhappy, or lost, or whatever, he saves me. And believe me, there's a lot to be unhappy about when you're Megan Abner. I'm never happy. Why, you ask? My parents, for one thing, and school. Mostly the social aspect of it. No one likes me. I mean, I have friends, but they all have boyfriends, or more friends, or whatever. No bioy has ever looked at me. Ever. So, no, I'm not very happy.

And, you can't tell anyone this, not even my parents. But I stopped cutting myself about a month ago. It was thanks to Adam. I think i might've been depressed, or something, but he brought me back to sanity.

Just thought you should know.