Chapter 1

Morning sun streamed through the flimsy curtains, shining right into my closed eyes. The light woke me from a light sleep. I had been dreaming about my mom and brother, a weird dream about meeting them at a park. As the dream faded, my sadness did not. I still missed them even now, three years after their deaths.

I turned in bed, looking over at my fiancé's face. Angelic in sleep, I knew that he was only innocent when sleeping. Awake, he was silly, goofy, nerdy...but mostly naughty. Jackson's ability to turn from doofball to sexy was my weakness.

His lips moved a little as he dreamed. The light didn't bother him; he could sleep through a hurricane crashing into the house. I moved closer to him, snuggling up on his bare chest and wrapping his arms around me. He murmured more noises, but didn't wake up.

I dozed for a little bit, safe and warm in his arms, never actually falling back asleep, yet not fully conscious. An annoying beeping from his phone snapped me out of it, however, and it was enough to wake him up. One arm disengaged from me to swing around and bat at the side table until he found his phone. With a sleepy sigh he pulled it in front of his face, turning the alarm off then draping his arm over his forehead.

"Good morning," I sing-songed quietly, looking up at him.
He opened one eye and tilted his chin to look down at me. "It's too early," he murmured, but squeezed me closer with the arm that was still around me. He began tracing circles on my back with his fingertips and I was suddenly in no hurry to get out of bed. I lightly scratched his stomach and waist, dragging my fingernails lightly over his skin.

He groaned in frustration. "Why do you do this when you know I have to get up," he growled, rolling over on top of me and pressing his body down the entire length of mine. His mouth left a trail from my collarbone up to my ear lobe, which he paused to nibble at.

"You could be late," I managed to say. Every where he touched me was on fire, nerve endings tingling, emotions melting me into a puddle of inhibition. He was my weakness, the one person who could make me irresponsible and throw caution to the wind. Especially when his mouth touched any part of my body.

He slammed his lips onto mine, a hard, rough kiss that left me gasping for air. "I wish," he said when he pulled back, letting his fingers drag down my body as he rolled away and out of bed. "I'll be fired if miss this meeting." He looked toward me longingly one last time, but disappeared into the bathroom to get ready for his day.

I was left in bed feeling wholly unsatisfied. I heard the shower turn on and was half-tempted to just go and join him, but I knew he was right and he was running short on time to get ready for work. I would just have to have him make it up to me when he got home later tonight. I marvelled for a moment how lucky I was that I was going to marry the perfect man.

Jackson was smart and well employed, a history professor at the local university; he was kind and caring, sweet and protecting. He could nerd out over history, then geek out over video games. Then, without batting an eye, he could be the sexiest man on the planet, knowing all the right moves, touching all the right places. He was quite the enigma. He was my enigma.

I was on call at the hospital today, which meant I didn't have to be into work, but I couldn't stray far from home. The apartment Jackson and I shared wasn't large, but we both worked a lot so it got pretty messy. My huge goal today was to go grocery shopping and clean the place up so it looked like humans lived there. I sat up in bed just about the same moment as Jackson walked out of bathroom in nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist.

You had to appreciate his body, no doubt. His face was adorable, with his a little bit long nose and his messy blond hair falling into his perfectly shaped eyes. The guy, however, found time to work out and his body was a masterpiece. Perfect arms, not too big but well muscled, a nicely defined, perfect six-pack, and long lean legs, perfectly proportioned to his body. Did I mention that his body was perfect? At the moment, it was all I could do to keep myself from drooling. I don't know who I saved in a previous life to be this lucky, but he or she must have been pretty damn important.